Can I use more than one free Antivirus program?

BallyIrish7 12:01 02 Sep 2013

I am somewhat confused by the question of whether more than one AV program (free) can be used on my Windows 7 Pro.

I have read that having two AV programs, such as Avast and AVG, or Avast and Windows Security Essentials gives better protection than a single AV program: then again I read that having more than one AV program causes conflicts, performance problems and crashes.

I would really appreciate sound advice on this matter please. Thanks

wee eddie 12:31 02 Sep 2013

No:

Paid or free is irrelevant: One program will see the other as a virus and cause unpredictable results, sometimes screwing up your PC, at other times just leaving you unprotected.

Nontek 13:39 02 Sep 2013

A great big capital NO!!

Where on earth did you read that having two AV was advantageous?

Nontek 13:40 02 Sep 2013

Or are you getting confused with Malware programs, of which you can have more than one.

BallyIrish7 17:53 02 Sep 2013

Thank you folks. Honest, I read that layered Antivirus (no mention of Malware programs) was safe, and advisable. I can't remember where I read that, but I read it in more than one Geeky and reputable web site.

Now I have had absolutely clear answers that more than one AV program is definitely out, for which I do thank you very much wee eddie and Nontek! I now R.I.P Cheers.

kevinhall 07:32 04 Sep 2013

Not more than one dear. Please dear Use only one register anti virus.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?