Can I stop unwanted sites asking permissions to install

panhandle 03:13 13 May 2014
Answered

My UAC settings require administrator permission to allow programmes to make changes to computer - i.e "always notify", which is what I want. However there are 2 malicious sites that persistently, any time of day or night, keep asking permission, which of course I deny. How can I block them from ever getting this far? Thanks.

alanrwood 09:41 13 May 2014

What program is giving you the message. Is it just the UAC.

Secret-Squirrel 12:31 13 May 2014

"UAC is a pain in the neck and the first thing I turn off when getting a new computer."

It's a good job the OP's not as reckless as you otherwise his PC would be infected within seconds ;)

Seriously though Jock1e, having UAC turned off is a huge security risk so have a read here, then here, and then turn UAC back on.

Secret-Squirrel 12:59 13 May 2014

"How would that happen then?"

Because most folks logon to their PCs with an Administrator account. If in that situation UAC is turned off then any malware (if it weren't blocked by AV software) would automatically gain Administrator privileges and it would have full access to the normally protected folders and the Registry.

If you normally use your computer under a "standard user" account then that offers a lot more protection.

Have a read of the links I posted - here's a third one called "Why do idiots disable UAC.......". There's some interesting stuff there including post #3 which backs up what I said in my first paragraph.

Secret-Squirrel 13:58 13 May 2014

"They are all pretty useless..."

Trust me Jock1e, UAC is not useless. Surely you can see that it appears to be doing a good job in protecting the OP's computer? Have a read of the two links I posted. The extra security is worth the faff of having to click a "Yes" button once in a while.

Secret-Squirrel 18:35 13 May 2014

"I would have to sit there all day having to open and shut UAC..................being plagued with all the pop ups that you get from it."

OMG Jock1e, what do you use your computer for? Are you constantly installing things or making other system changes such as using Regedit? For a Windows 7 PC with UAC at its default setting I estimate that the average user would see a UAC pop-up once every couple of days or so.

I do concede though that with a new PC where one is installing lots of new programs and generally tweaking things the UAC pop-ups may be a nuisance for some. They will however die down when the job's complete.

"...........So far I have had no Viruses or whatever for years without using it........."

That's what MechKB said too. That's the same as someone saying "I smoke and have never been ill therefore smoking isn't risky".

"No I have not read your links"

I'm disappointed by your attitude which comes across as narrow-minded. There's a lot of useful information in those links which explains how the UAC mechanism works and the multiple ways it protects.

"Wonder if you are the only one on here that uses it."

Now you're being silly ;)

Secret-Squirrel 19:11 13 May 2014

"..........your ridiculous statement that you would be infected in seconds if UAC was switched off"

No Mech, please re-read my post - I was referring to the OP, not you. panhandle stated that "2 malicious sites that persistently, any time of day or night, keep asking permission" and he keeps having to answer "No" when prompted by UAC. If he'd answered yes, or had UAC disabled, then if it is indeed malware and was attempting to make system changes, it would take hold of his PC within seconds.

The second link I posted said "....nearly 23 percent of PCs it had found to be infected by dangerous types of rootkit and worm were machines on which UAC had been disabled." so I'm staggered that you and Jock1e are propagating such dangerous advice by saying that it's OK to disable UAC simply because you find the very occasional prompt too much hassle.

panhandle 23:12 14 May 2014

Apologies for delay, had to get router working again. Firstly, use of UAC is a personal choice and that is what I want. I run Malwarebytes, defender & reg cure [paretologic] every other day, plus ccleaner. Other days I run disc clean up, and my anti-virus is AVG. Not much more I can do to keep PC clean. I think the gist of your comments are that there is no real wat to stop this malware before it gets to UAC, ie a once *& for wll forever block. {it's just come up as I write this!] I just wanted to say that, now I an uo *& running again I'll look at all your suggested links tomorrow and post gain, thanks so far.

panhandle 23:25 15 May 2014

MechKB I had a look at your suggestions. In essence they say are saying 'stop pop-ups'. I thought pop-ups were annoyances popping up on a site you are already in. Anyway, pop-up blocker is on. I can't see anything telling me how to stop them getting as far as the UAC, ie they already [sort of] have accessed your machine, although not the HDD. I don't want to use a different browser to IE, and I can live with the persistence 0 it is more of an irritation. Thanks for your time and I'll close this posting in a couple of days just to see if any solutions appear.

Secret-Squirrel 09:58 17 May 2014

"2 malicious sites............How can I block them from ever getting this far?"

If you know the URLs of those sites then one way to block them is to add a couple of entries to your Windows "Hosts" file. Or if you use a software firewall then you may be able to add a couple of rules. But let's not worry about that just yet.

To enable me to get a better picture of what's going on, I need the info from those UAC windows that keep appearing. The next time one pops up make a note of the following and post back what you discover:

Program Name

File Origin

Click the "Show details" button and look at what it says for Program Location.

When I get that info I'll hopefully be able to offer you some practical advice.

panhandle 23:29 19 May 2014

I've been away. OK, shall try to get that info posted ASAP. Sorry it is taking a long time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?