Can I re-use a win 7 key?

Gordon Freeman 20:02 05 Oct 2014
Answered

Not so long ago I upgraded my win 7 desktop to win 8.1...well, I actually replaced the desktop mobo & a few other components (RAM & hard drive) & also purchased the genuine download and key for win 8, then upgraded that to win 8.1.

Thought just occurred: can I use that win 7 key and original disk to upgrade an old laptop from XP to Win 7?

Or would I need to speak to MS?

Cheers.

rdave13 20:39 05 Oct 2014

When you purchased Win 8 was it an upgrade, retail or OEM? If OEM or retail then yes you can use Win 7 as long as the Win 7 was also not an OEM but retail.

Confusing I know but basically what I'm saying is if the desktop came with Windows 7 preloaded then you can't use it to upgrade the laptop. If you bought Win 7 as retail or upgrade for the desktop then I can't see why you can't use it. As long as the laptop can handle Windows 7.

Gordon Freeman 20:44 05 Oct 2014

Thanks rdave13...yes, the desktop came with win 7 pro loaded, and I have the win 7 disk which allows for re-install if required...sticker with serial no. on the case.

The win 8 purchase was retail.

Seems from what u say I can't re-use?...which is a real bummer tbh.

rdave13 21:19 05 Oct 2014

As you've changed the motherboard on the desktop it sounds like you can't do it. However as 8 is retail I'd be thinking of putting that on the laptop and contact Microsoft to say you had to change the motherboard on the desktop and you would like to reinstall 7 on it. No harm in contacting them. Seems like a mobile number only? . Worth a call I think.

alanrwood 08:31 06 Oct 2014

What harm can you do by trying. From what you say the Windows 7 version disks you have are just that - Windows 7. If they are recovery disks for the laptop including drivers etc then it won't work.

Gordon Freeman 11:31 06 Oct 2014
Answer

Thanks all. If I decide to try and put win 7 on the old laptop, I'll speak to MS. If no joy, I'll either buy a win 7 disk, or try and take the XP laptop to win 8. Marked as resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?