Can I 'downgrade' to windows 7 from windows 8

geggs 18:34 23 Aug 2013

Hi I have just bought a Toshiba (Satellite C55-A-100) laptop for an elderly relative. However neither myself nor my partner who are well used to previous windows OS's can make any sense out of windows 8 and an 85 year old woman isn't going to stand a chance!

I would be very grateful if you could let me know if there's an easy way of downgrading to Windows 7 on this new laptop, otherwise It'll have to be returned sadly.

Cheers

chub_tor 18:54 23 Aug 2013

There is no cheap downgrade path from Win 8 to Win 7, of course you can always format your new machine and install a copy of Win 7 but that will set you back around £70.

You can make Windows 8 look like Win 7 and here is a free shell that will let you do so. That together with a few tweaks which you can find from Google will let you boot straight into the Desktop and bypass the Win 8 Start up screen.

Windows 8 boots up much faster than Windows 7, it is very stable and once mastered it is much more intuitive than Win 7.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?