calendar in Windows 7 Live Mail has died

number 11 15:45 28 Mar 2017

Hi I am experiencing a problem with the calendar in Windows Live Mail. I regularly use this feature as a reminder function for events, birthdays, appointments etc, so it's very useful to me. However, 2 weeks ago I tried to open Windows Live Mail as usual, but it wouldn't start. Instead I got an error message on screen something like "Windows Live Mail is unable to open due to corrupt data in the calendar". I had no idea what this meant, as my calendar just contains information I have typed in. I re-booted the computer, and tried again. This time Live Mail opened and the email part was working normally, but the calendar was completely empty. All the information I had in there was gone! Not only that, but it won't let me input any new appointments - it's just totally unusable at the moment. I tried doing a system restore to a date just before it went wrong, but that had no effect, it's still the same. So - my question is: If I uninstall the program and then re-install, do you think that might help? But would I then lose all my saved emails and contacts? Is there anything else I can do? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks. My system is Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Procrastinus 11:34 29 Mar 2017

Have you accidentally changed the View options as this can hide the calender function? If you decide to reinstall, back up your emails + contacts and download the off-line installer from here

number 11 12:13 29 Mar 2017

Thanks Procrastinus for your response. No, I haven't changed any view settings or anything else in Live Mail. I can see the calendar, but I am not able to use it. It is completely empty, and I get no response when double clicking on a particular date in order to make an entry. The entry button (top left of screen) is also greyed out, so I can't use that either. Baffled! Here is a link to a screen grab I just made.

number 11 12:15 29 Mar 2017

Sorry, the link seems to have dropped off. I'll try again. click here

Secret-Squirrel 12:50 29 Mar 2017

number 11, I have an idea that may help restore your original WLM calendar and its appointments but try this for me first:

Is your WLM calendar linked to a Microsoft account? It looks like it is because you're logged into WLM. If I'm right then log in to outlook.com with your details, click the square icon top-left with the nine little squares, then choose "Calendar". Are all your appointments there? If they are then even if I can't fix WLM you'll still have access to your calendar entries.

number 11 13:46 29 Mar 2017

Thanks Secret-Squirrel, that did work and I can now see my calendar entries in Outlook. I had no idea about that one! So if I still can't get Live Mail to work properly, at least I can use Outlook as my calendar. And maybe I will eventually find a way of exporting the calendar info back into Live Mail? Appreciate your help. Thanks again

Secret-Squirrel 15:27 29 Mar 2017

Thanks for the update.

Hopefully you'll find a recent WLM calendar backup that you can restore:

1) Make sure that WLM is closed before proceeding.

2) Go to Control Panel -> Folder Options -> "View" tab. Make sure that "Show hidden files and folders" is enabled and "Hide protected operating system files" and "Hide extensions for known file types" aren't. If you don't do this then you'll never find your calendar files because they're normally invisible.

3) Navigate to the your Windows Live Mail data store by copying and pasting this into the Windows Run box:

%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail

.....then go into the "Calendars" folder, then the folder with your email address, then "DBstore".

4) The file that contains your calendar data is called WLCalendarStore.edb so your job now is to look for a folder called "Backup" that contains a recent copy of that file. If you find one, first rename the original one (perhaps by adding OLD to the beginning) then copy and paste the backup file.

When you think you're done, reopen WLM and see if it's worked.

If it doesn't work then you can always revert the changes you made because you haven't deleted anything.

Lastly, don't forget to put those folder options back to how they were when you're finished.

number 11 16:10 29 Mar 2017

thanks S-S, I will try your suggestion probably at the weekend when I can concentrate a bit more on it. Bit busy now for a day or so. I will post an update afterwards.

Secret-Squirrel 16:42 29 Mar 2017

I will try your suggestion probably at the weekend.......

You may find though that any good backups have been overwritten by then. If you're moderately experienced then my suggestion should only take a few minutes. If you're not then I'll understand if it all looks too daunting and you don't want to tackle it.

number 11 16:32 30 Mar 2017

Thanks S-S, I tried your suggestion, but it didn't make any difference, so I have reversed the settings as per your instructions, and WLM is now as it was (email working but no calendar). As you mentioned, it's probably too long ago now (went wrong 2 weeks ago), to find a usable backup. So, what about if I were too uninstall Live Mail and then re-install, do you think that might re-activate the calendar. I have backed up all my saved emails and contacts, and I'd be quite happy to re-do all my calendar entries if I could get the thing to work! Or perhaps I could get the data to migrate from the Outlook.com calendar which is OK but a bit slow to use, as it's web based.

Secret-Squirrel 18:30 30 Mar 2017

So, what about if I were too uninstall Live Mail and then re-install...........

You'll find that there's a "Repair" option for it in Programs & Features and you should try that first. If it doesn't help then I doubt that reinstalling will be any better.

If the problem's being caused by corrupt data files then you'll get the same problem whether you repair or reinstall. In that case you may want to create a new blank profile. Your contacts will be unaffected by this but everything else will be gone. To do this, create a new folder somewhere to hold the new data store then go into WLM's Options -> Mail -> "Advanced" tab -> "Maintenance" button -> "Store folder" button then point it at the new folder you created. Your original WLM data store will be unaffected so you can always return to it by following the same steps.

...perhaps I could get the data to migrate from the Outlook.com calendar.......

Sadly it's not possible to export calendar data from Outlook.com and import it into WLM. If you're really lucky though your calendar may repopulate itself when you login to WLM but that relies on whether your Microsoft account has been upgraded to the new system. It probably has so calendar synchronization won't work but I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone X review

How to find a font: Discover the name of a typeface with these apps

The best iPhone for 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)