buying windows 7

b0pper 17:43 15 Jan 2013
Answered

I run Vista Home Premium 32-bit. My PC is quad-core and can run Windows 7 64-bit. I want to install this from scratch. Which version do I buy for Home use (not a developer)? I'm confused between "full version" and OEM versions. Which would I need to enable a subsequent full re-install in the event of problems? Is there a licence authorisation process? Where can I buy the recommended version at optimal price, without getting some incomplete or "repair-only" option?

lotvic 18:09 15 Jan 2013
Answer

In my opinion it is worth paying the extra and getting the Retail Version of W7. You get 2 DVD's one with W732bit and another with W764bit you only get one product key which can be used with either DVD. (you can install 32bit and then if you change your mind you can wipe that off and install 64bit if you wish) Retail is not tied to the motherboard so if motherboard goes kaput and you junk that pc and buy another pc you can install your Retail W7 again on your new pc.

With OEM it is tied to the motherboard when you activate and you cannot install it on a different motherboard.

chub_tor 18:56 15 Jan 2013

I'm with lotvic on this one, I always buy the retail versions though invariably I get the upgrade discs as they are often cheaper. You already have Vista installed so you can use an upgrade disc - it is also possible to "fool" your PC even if no OS is installed, just Google for it.

For price the best I have seen is from Software for Students check our your availability, even though I am a granddad I am still eligible via grandkids in school.

northumbria61 12:56 16 Jan 2013

Endorse all that is said by lotvic and chub_tor - I only ever buy Retail Versions.

john bunyan 13:40 16 Jan 2013

Do check which level you want. I use Windows Media Centre for watching and recording TV and I think Home Premium or above is needed for this. At the time I bought it, Ultimate was only an extra £10 so I got that version.

Proclaimer 11:52 31 Jan 2013

chub_tor 'even though I am a granddad I am still eligible via grandkids in school.'

No you are not, unless you are the Guardians of the Grandchild and even then only one licence is permitted per student, so you can't even buy one licence for the student and one for the parent or guardian.

All licensees' must be Qualified Education Users (i.e. students or their parents or guardians)

Student software is just that, for students. Not for everyone to get cheap software. The fact that is is easily abused and poorly regulated means you can get it, but that does not mean 'eligible'.

lotvic 18:38 31 Jan 2013

Proclaimer, you should have read the FAQ...

"Parents, grandparents and guardians: If you are a parent or guardian or have a grandson or granddaughter for whom you would like to license the software, then you can purchase the software. The main requirement to purchase is that the end user licensee must be a student or be a faculty member in one of our listed educational institutions."

Proclaimer 19:58 31 Jan 2013

lotvic

That just says exactly what I said, The main requirement to purchase is that the end user licensee must be a student or be a faculty member...

The End user being the important information. The software is for the student, not the family member. It (the FAQ) goes on to clarify the issue further.

'Can I buy more than one copy of each application? No, under the terms of the programme each student is entitled to one copy only of each version of the software.'

lotvic 22:03 31 Jan 2013

Proclaimer, don't know why you seem so steamed up about it. It's simple as far as I can see. A grandparent can purchase a program and the licence is in the grandchild's name. The grandchild can only have one licence per program purchased. It does not matter which pc the program is installed on.

Many grandparents purchase programs for a grandchild so they can use their pc when they visit simply because sometimes the parents do not have a separate pc available for each of their children to use.

I believe to insist that the licensee grandchild has exclusive use of the program is unrealistic (and it does not state that in the T&D's)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?