BT Voyager and VISTA? HELP!

Joaquina 17:21 11 Jan 2008

I have at the moment a BT VOYAGER 54G wireless Networking Kit for my broadband. It was set up like this-
Voyager to old computer using yellow ethernet wire
Note book had USB adaptor thing in.

The USB adaptor has broken and so has the old computer. So I have purchased a new notebook (NOT WI-FI). The new notebook has VISTA basic on.

I want to use a wired connection to the new notebook with VISTA on and have the old XP notebook connected via a Wireless Laptop Adaptor.

What product should I be buying anyone? I am pretty sure the Voyager I have is not compatable as I received a warning with the new notebook saying to check. The Voyager 54 box does not say VISTA.
I just need to know what to buy!
Thanks in advance!

fishface113 21:40 11 Jan 2008

Ethernet is NOT operating system dependant and should make no difference what system is networked to it. As long as the BT voyager is already set up, just plug the new laptop into it and it will be fine. When they say not Vista compatable, they mean the driver software thats all.

I used to have this sort of set up and I would recommend dumping the voyager as they in my experience are really unreliable. Buy a 4 port wirelss ADSL modem and set that up to the BT telephone line. You will then have 4 ports plus a wireless network all in one box without hassles.

If you really must keep the voyager then just plug the laptop into it and use the internet, it will work fine. In fact it should not need any help to access the internet, Vista will sort it out. Just plug the cable in and click internet explorer.

If you need to set up the voyager again, just plug the cable to your old laptop, do the business and unplug it again.

Good Luck

Joaquina 20:17 12 Jan 2008

Thankyou for your reply FishFace! I will try it out then!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone