BSOD then no boot!

maanse 18:15 02 Feb 2008

The other day i got a BSOD on Vista Home Prem, Then the pc restarted.

Now if i choose to start in normal mode i get to the Vista progress bar, then the pc retarts and does the whole thing over again.

If i choose safe mode i get to see all the drivers load, then all of a sudden before windows loads it restarts.

Last known good conf, does the same as normal mode.

Any ideas how i can find out what the BSOD actually said.... in order to fix the problem? Any live CD's or anything that can read the Windows error logs....?

By the way, im almost certain it wasnt caused thru a hardware fault as this is the same PC im using with Ubuntu as a secondary OS.

fishface113 18:58 02 Feb 2008

Use the original installation disk, it comes with the option of repairing windows. If you follow through with the repair procedure you will be given the option of performing a system restore to an earlier date. This problem, assuming it is software is often caused by a driver update not being quite stable.

Try it!

maanse 19:08 02 Feb 2008

Ive tried using the Vista DVD, if i do a boot repair it tells me it cant repair the system and asks me to report it to microsoft, if i do the system restore it tells me i have no restore points made.

I think it is due to a driver because i installed SP1 about 2 months ago, everything was working fine then i plugged in a USB stick and it asked me for drivers (tried with a few usb devices) each time it fails to find a driver.

So i reinstalled the Nvidia chipset drivers for my board and then 2 days lata this happened.

fishface113 19:17 02 Feb 2008

Reinstall windows!

If it wont let you register then afterwards you will have to ring Microsoft for a validation code.

This is all I can suggest at this point my friend.

maanse 19:29 02 Feb 2008

To be honest i thought that might be the case.

I wonder if they will be suspicious now, its about my 10th time of activating....

Finding vista unreliable hence the ubuntu dual boot. :D

Thanx for the help anyways.

BurrWalnut 14:10 03 Feb 2008

If you haven’t reloaded Vista and want to get out of the continual boot loop, press F8 when the computer is booting then pick the option that says 'Disable automatic restart on system failure'.

Make a note of the hexadecimal error number (the format is 0x00000aaa, where aaa is the error number, e.g. 05A) and look for an explanation of your error number as shown in the left pane here click here

maanse 16:48 03 Feb 2008

Ah I never thought of that. Ive since formatted the drive anyway. Only thing is now vista won't re install. Tells me that none of my drives meet the install criteria.

I have formatted the drive as NTFS and set the partition to active. Ice also used diskpart to clean the volume but it still won't install.

ened 07:30 05 Feb 2008

"Tells me that none of my drives meet the install criteria"

You could try unplugging everything but the DVD drive and ONE Hard Drive (Obviously the one you want to install Vista on).

Mine got confused when I tried to install with everything connected.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?