Blue Screen + Odd Stuff Re Adaptec Driver

pooka 20:40 29 Mar 2014

Hello,

Here is some info which could help with my query.

Product Windows

Problem Shut down unexpectedly

Date 29/03/2014 5:18 PM

Status Not Reported

Problem signature Problem Event Name: BlueScreen OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3 Locale ID: 2057

Files that help describe the problem Mini032914-03.dmp sysdata.xml Version.txt

Extra information about the problem BCCode: c4 BCP1: 0000003D BCP2: 00000000 BCP3: 00000000 BCP4: AC1C274D OS Version: 606002 Service Pack: 2_0 Product: 768_1

Solve a problem with ASPI Adaptec Driver (ASPI32.SYS) ASPI Adaptec Driver (ASPI32.SYS) has stopped working properly. To solve this problem, go to the Adaptec, Inc. website to download and install the update.

I've started getting blue screens evrynow and then and somehow I arrived at Windows Vista telling me that my (ASPI32.SYS) driver was corrupt and needed updating. However on researching online this driver shouldn't be on my pc as it is not supported by Vista. I'm confused! I can't update the driver as the driver is not meant for Vista and can't be downloaded to my pc but my pc tells me I need to update it! Can I unistall the driver? Do I need something else to replace it? Why is it on my pc in the first place?!

Any help really appreciated as my pc keeps on going blue on me!

Thanks,

Greg.

jaywoo 17:26 31 Mar 2014

It could have been installed by software for CD/DVD ripping and or burning, something that was written before XP/Vista came along. Do you have any software of that type on your machine?

Download Autoruns.

Create a system restore point.

Extract the autoruns zip file, right click autoruns.exe (not autorunsc.exe) and choose Run as Administrator. Click the Drivers tab and look at the Timestamp column for aspi32.sys.

Now go to Control Panel/Programs and Features, click on the Installed On column to sort the list by date and see if any of the dates match that of aspi32.sys.

If one or two match and you can live without the software, uninstall it, reboot and see how the machine behaves.

If no dates match you can disable aspi32.sys using Autoruns - just untick aspi32.sys - don't be tempted to modify anything else, Autoruns can render your machine unbootable if used carelessly.

Restart the PC and see how you get on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017