Backing up Vista on network

Pineman100 09:12 16 Feb 2008

I run a desktop PC with XP SP2. My wife runs a laptop with Vista Home Premium.

I'm trying to set up an automatic backup so that all my wife's data files are backed up across the network on to my HDD.

In Vista I have accessed Control Panel>Backup & Restore Centre>Backup Files. I have told the system to backup across the network to my HDD - no problems. But the final part of setting this up is that I have been asked to enter a User Name and Password.

I entered the user name and password that my wife uses to log on to her laptop, but this wasn't accepted. I don't use a login to get into my XP desktop.

Can anyone please tell me where to find the user name and password that the Vista backup system is looking for?

Pineman100 18:01 16 Feb 2008

^

Pineman100 09:59 18 Feb 2008

^Bumping again. Nobody got any ideas... please?

rawprawn 08:21 19 Feb 2008

Have you tried just hitting enter without putting anything in?
Failing that try "admin" in both boxes.

Pineman100 09:07 19 Feb 2008

... I'll try that.

Pineman100 09:29 19 Feb 2008

I tried both those ideas - no luck I'm afraid.

Here's the exact sequence of events and the report that I receive:

I go to Control Panel>Backup & Restore Centre>Backup Files.

A dialogue box asks "where do you want to backup your files". I select the radio button for "On a network".

I click a Browse button which presents me with a window showing the two computers on our network.

I select my desktop, then browse to the folder on my computer where I want the backup from my wife's computer stored.

I click "Next" and a window opens asking me for a user name and password.

When I enter these incorrectly, I get an error report that reads as follows:

"The network could not be accessed for the following reason: No mapping between account names and security ID was done. (0x80070534). Please ensure that the network location is valid"

The strange thing is that if I use my wife's Windows Explorer to copy a simple Word file from her hard drive to mine, I can do it without any problems, and without any need to enter a user name or password.

Any more ideas, please? I just don't understand *what* user name and password is being demanded.

Pineman100 10:03 19 Feb 2008

I tried the whole process again, and this time when I was asked for a user name and password, I entered the account name that I use on my desktop computer. I don't use a password, so in the password box I put "admin".

It didn't work, but this time I got a different error report, as follows:

"The network share could not be accessed for the following reason: You need Full Control permission for the network share. Make the user a co-owner of the share with Full Control. The network share cannot be on a computer running Windows XP Home (0x8100002A). Please ensure that the network location is valid."

I use Windows XP Home, and I am the computer administrator.

Am I banging my head against a brick wall?

Pineman100 10:13 19 Feb 2008

I've researched the latest error report (0x8100002A) on the internet, and I've come across this (in case anyone's interested): click here

Bottom line - it seems that the Vista backup function will only allow backups across a network to another Vista machine. You can't do it to an XP machine.

:expletive deleted:

However, one contributor to that thread suggested that the backup can be "pulled" from the XP machine, rather than "pushed" from the Vista machine. So I'll give that a go.

rawprawn - thanks for your contribution above. At least you made me feel less lonely!!

rawprawn 15:38 19 Feb 2008

I'm glad you are sorted. Sorry for the delay I had to go out.

zachandchelsea 17:42 30 Dec 2008

I was receiving this same error message when trying to use the Backup tool in Vista to backup files to another Vista machine. After trying every thing I could think of, I went and removed the "-" from the computer name of the machine I was backing up to. I restarted that computer and Walah, it worked!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?