AVG and Vista query

Totally-braindead 14:22 09 Apr 2007

I am using AVG on Vista and today it found a downloader trojan. First virus in a long time and I've only had Vista installed since Saturday.
Now I know AVG is meant to work with Vista but under XP the emails said at the bottom that the email had been checked by AVG and gives the date and time, under Vista it says nothing.
So my question is, is it actually working, it says it is but I would like confirmation.
Also there is a Protected Mode for Internet Explorer and it was working on Sunday but now it doesn't. If you look under tools it says its on but at the bottom of IE it says Protected Mode: Off. So whats with that?

anskyber 14:30 09 Apr 2007

Double click protected mode off in system tray and reset it by checking the box? I downloaded java update yesterday and it turned my protected mode off.

I tried AVG and did not like it in Vista so now use the free Avast which I think is much "quieter"

Totally-braindead 14:34 09 Apr 2007

Tried that anskyber and thats the problem. When you do that it says its already on, if you take it off it makes no difference the box says Protected Mode is Off regardless of what it says under security. Restarting IE and even restarting Vista makes no difference.

I'm used to AVG and like it and would prefer to keep it if I can be sure its checking my emails. If not I'll have to try AVAST.

anskyber 14:46 09 Apr 2007

Have you turned off UAC? If you have does re enabling it allow for protected mode to be restarted?

Totally-braindead 14:48 09 Apr 2007

anskyber yes I did that yesterday - thanks for the suggestion. I'll go put it back on and see what happens.

Totally-braindead 14:55 09 Apr 2007

You got it anskyber thats what it was, if you choose to switch UAC off the protected mode no longer works.
One problem solved and now I've discovered another.

anskyber 14:59 09 Apr 2007

UAC is a pain when you are setting things up for the first time. Once set up it (the headache)tends to fade away a little.

While the FE is not looking this is a handy site click here not up to PCA standards obviously!

Totally-braindead 15:03 09 Apr 2007

Bookmarked thanks anskyber.

Totally-braindead 20:06 09 Apr 2007

Anyone know if AVG is working with Vista and how to test it? As I said theres no message on the emails now.

anskyber 20:11 09 Apr 2007

Sorry TB, I should have added earlier, when I did use AVG with Vista there was a message at the bottom of each email to say that it had been scanned by AVG.

Perhaps those who are using it may help but it does look as if the email scan is disabled with you.

Totally-braindead 20:12 09 Apr 2007

Damn I thought that might have been howw the virus got in.

Look like I might have to try AVAST after all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?