Avg and vista?

hiwatt 12:02 15 Jul 2007

Hi folks,has anyone here tried avg anti spyware and anti virus on their vista pc?The computer's running vista home premium and I just wanted to know if it's ok to download them.Thanks.

Jake_027 13:21 15 Jul 2007

and i have a friend who has the anti spyware app on his pc, I haven't asked him about it but theres a shortcut on his desktop so i assume it is ok to use, the anti virus definately is. Get the latest versions from click here

crosstrainer 15:57 15 Jul 2007

version 7.5 is compatible with vista, but I had problems with the mail scanner dropping in and out...I have now gone over to click here This is also free, and has given me no problems to date.

skidzy 16:36 15 Jul 2007

I can only echo Crosstrainers post:

I have a recent problem with AVG AV and the email scanner deactivating since an update last week (waiting for the update to fix this).

However,if a new pc with Vista.

You will have IE7 and Defender preinstalled,so in my opinion no need for AVGAS.
I would then advise adding Spywareblaster as a blocker click here

Then add Spybot SD click here
Winaso not free but has trial version WinASO Registry Optimizer Version 3.0.9 click here

Python33 19:06 15 Jul 2007

i have Avast & now Zonealarm both running on my Vista notebook, both seem to be running fine. still looking for a compatable anti spyware (Free).

skidzy 20:00 15 Jul 2007

AVG AS
Defender
Spywareterminator

are all vista compatible.

Totally-braindead 20:35 15 Jul 2007

When I had Vista I did try AVG but had problems, it just wouldn't scan my emails for some reason. I ended up using AVAST instead and it worked perfectly. I'm unsure if the AVG problem I experienced had anything to do with the other problems I had with Vista as many have it running no problem at all.
I reverted to XP for the time being but it is meant to run with Vista and many have it running perfectly.

hiwatt 21:16 15 Jul 2007

Thanks for all the advice folks.My girlfriends norton protection subscription runs out soon and as avg(AS and AV)serves me well on my xp computer I thought I'd run it on her vista pc and just wanted to see what people thought before I downloaded them.I'll give it a go with both and see how it goes.Thanks very much.

skidzy 21:34 15 Jul 2007

When Norton has expired,make sure you use the removal from Symantec.

And remember AVGAS has only a trial realtime scanner under the freebie version as opposed to Defender and Spywareterminator that offers 100% realtime scanning for free.

skidzy 21:41 15 Jul 2007

Sorry should have said " Removal Tool "

hiwatt 21:48 15 Jul 2007

I've just downloaded avg anti spyware and it found a few tracking cookies.The computer came with windows defender installed and when avg's real time scanner runs out I'll try spyware terminator.That's the set up I've got on my own pc.Cheers.P.s I'll make sure norton's removed properly before I install avg anti virus.Much appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?