AV message about attachments. Incorrect?

derbiccm 08:01 06 Sep 2013

Long one this. Thought it was Norton 360 but probably not. When trying to open attached files, mostly PDF's or MS office software e.g. Outlook, we get a message telling me that a virus was detected and it was deleted. No matter how many times I try to open the file I get this. I have serious doubts that a virus exists as such as the files are from known, checked and reliable sources e.g. my pay slips and my wife's work (local government) The message is proceeded by a small red and white shield . On the bottom right corner of my screen is a small flag with red circle and white cross. The shield dis the same design. Clicking on this flag tells me to turn on my Windows security centre. 1 important message. When I try to turn it on I am told that I cannot. (Usual red and white circle/cross). I am not worried about the WSC although I probably should be. I didn't know it existed until this issue arose. All updates from Windows are always taken when prompted. This issue has gradually got worse. It started about 2 months ago with my wife's work files. It then rejected 1 payslip and now it is rejecting other payslips. Until about 2 months ago all was fine. The same files and payslip were no issue. This does not coincide with Norton 360 being added, that being in 2012. No other AV software is used.

I assume that the red shield/white cross at the start of the AV message is Windows and not a close copy/fake. I cannot take a screen shot of this virus. It won't let me. Any ideas?

chub_tor 10:03 06 Sep 2013

You may have some malware on your system Click Here try downloading and running Malwarebytes Click Here

lotvic 14:48 08 Sep 2013

click here 7 manages security and other warnings slightly differently to previous versions, with something called the Action Center. If there's something Windows needs to tell you about, then it will put a white Action Center flag in your Notification Area.

When there's something urgent that needs attention, the flag will be accompanied by a red circle with a cross in it. Click on the flag for a summary of the problems your computer wants you to be aware of.

You should deal with critical issues, such as the absence of appropriate malware protection, straight away

To fix Error message: “Security Center service can't be started” support.microsoft.com click here

This sounds similar to your problem From Norton website click here

Windows

derbiccm 18:38 08 Sep 2013

Good idea but when I reach step 2 the security centre option is not listed. W7 by the way. Now what?

lotvic 19:44 08 Sep 2013

I'm going to assume you're following chubtor's advice before you wade into my information - which was meant to follow on from chubtor's post.

lotvic 19:46 08 Sep 2013

sorry about the inadvertent italics, I keep forgetting that this sites formatting means any text between two _ gets changed.

derbiccm 20:35 08 Sep 2013

Yeah, I am doing it in order. Thought I had posted in reply to chub-tor. My pc told me that Malwarebytes was a virus!

lotvic 22:30 08 Sep 2013

Found some more info, It is highly likely that you have The ZeroAccess trojan

Remove “file contained a virus and was deleted” (Removal Guide) click here

derbiccm 08:28 09 Sep 2013

Was looking good until I was asked to disable Norton 360. Kept getting messages telling me I hadn't when I thought I had. That would be me not know what do do. How do I do that properly?

lotvic 20:27 09 Sep 2013

This video will show you how you can temporarily disable norton 360 anti-virus. It should be fairly simple on windows 7. Just click on the taskbar on the bottom right and left click on "Norton 360" icon. Then left mouse click on "Disable Auto Protect." Optionally, you can click on "Disable Firewall" click here

derbiccm 21:34 09 Sep 2013

Just to add. When I was running Combofix I got to the point where I was told that I still had Norton running and then escaped. I think. It says not to re run it. I assume that I haven't run it yet but will I have downloaded it? I got to part 1 step 2 and clicked to download. I thought I had disable everything as it says in part 2. Do I just start again or do I find (can I?) Combofix somewhere on the PC. Also re above. I can't see "Disable Auto Protect" after left clicking on the 360 Icon. I guess I have to go deeper but where.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?