Autumn Creators Update F8 Legacy

rdave13 09:10 06 Oct 2017

Just tested the F8 legacy Advanced Boot Options menu access on this update and it still works.

In CMD (admin) type bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy and enter. Can come in handy at times of trouble. Just for information.

john bunyan 11:37 06 Oct 2017

rdave13

Tried but "access is denied" came up. Will follow up as there is an article in Ten Forums

Advanced boot prompt

Thanks for the info.

rdave13 23:37 06 Oct 2017

john bunyan

Access is denied make me think you didn't run the command prompt as administrator?

rdave13 23:45 06 Oct 2017

Forgot the first post is always in 'strong' letters so can't differentiate without quotes.

bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy has always worked for my multitude of laptops we have.

john bunyan 16:34 07 Oct 2017

rdave13

Tried again, did, as before, use administrator cmd prompt. Got message: the boot configuration data store could not be opened - access is denied

rdave13 18:00 07 Oct 2017

john bunyan , that's odd. Here's what I get on a prerelease build,

alanrwood 09:27 08 Oct 2017

John

I had a similar problem a long time back and realised I was not using curly brackets round "default". Just a long shot!!!

john bunyan 18:20 08 Oct 2017

Thanks both. I copied and pasted links from rdave13 and from my link. Will try again when I have time.

Forum Editor 22:41 09 Oct 2017

Moved to the Windows help forum from Consumer Rights Advice.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?