auto complete in windows mail

palinka 16:04 08 Feb 2008

Has anyone found a way to make email addreses auto complete in windows mail?
In Outlook Express I could start typing the first few letters of a name in my address book in the To line and the rest of the address would auto-complete.
There seenms to be no way of doing this in Windows Mail - at least not reliably: from time to time some of the names complete but I haven't discovered why those do and not the others. (they are all entered in nmy address book/ "Contacts" in the same format.

BurrWalnut 19:27 08 Feb 2008

Windows Mail is different from OE in that it keeps a separate list of the last 29 addresses you've sent to, which is the list used for auto-completion. That list is kept in the registry and is not easy to edit unless you can remember the sequence that they were created.

You could delete the key and start from scratch, the key is HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Mail\Recently Used Addresses. Create a system restore point before making the deletion, just in case you have problems.

palinka 22:22 08 Feb 2008

thanks, BurrWalnut. Sounds like that's what I need.

tonyt1151 08:28 09 Feb 2008

BurrWalnut You say WM keeps a list of the last 29 addresses. Does it keep a rolling list or is it the last 29 different addresses

BurrWalnut 09:25 09 Feb 2008

I don't know how the list is maintained.

In my reply to Palinka I said the last 29 but I'm not sure as I haven't done any detective work. I do agree that it is an annoying way to maintain the 'address autocomplete'.

I did, at one stage, run the beta SP1 but didn't think to check if Microsoft had bowed to pressure and changed it to suit us Luddites.

palinka 10:37 09 Feb 2008

BurrWalnut - and I haven't checked on your figure of 29 either. I have an address book of over 250 names, many of which are used regularly in a random pattern, so the 29 or whatever it is will change almost hourly.
Does anyone know whether SP1 IS going to change this situation? Long live Luddites!

palinka 09:23 23 Feb 2008

I've looked at this as suggested by BurrWalnut & decided not to bother - I can perhaps see why it will be 29: each entry listed by a letter of the alphabet (that's 26)plus a couple of brackets and another key (l? 1?). But whether they change or increase I haven't explored.
It remains a pain.

palinka 18:04 02 Mar 2008

I'll mark this as resolved - but it isn't. Maybe someone wil find or invent a solution.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires