To anyone who uses full backups.

mooly 08:24 25 Mar 2008

I use Acronis TI10 and it has saved the day on a few occasions. A quick for anyone needing to restore from a full backup, use the opportunity if P.C. will allow to try anything you might have wondered about first. That piece of software, will it cause a problem, TRY IT. Nothing to lose if you're restoring anyway. Been a bit apprehensive of changing some setting, again TRY IT.

hssutton 10:25 25 Mar 2008

is there anything wrong with using Vista's built in back-up software?

mooly 10:46 25 Mar 2008

Depends what version of Vista. Home Premium will only back up user files/documents etc, Acronis backs up or "images" the WHOLE partition or disc (everything) so you can restore a completely "trashed" for want of better phrase, operating system.

rawprawn 17:48 25 Mar 2008

"Try It" will only work if you use Acronis Security Zone. Unfortunately it doesn't suit my laptop.
As far as I understand you cannot run it from an external hard drive.

mooly 18:03 25 Mar 2008

Hi rawprawn, think somethings got lost in translation here. What I am trying to say is before you hit that button and start the restore process, if the machine is functional try somethings out, things you might otherwise think twice before doing. If your restoring anyway and you mess it up a bit more it doesnt really matter.

hssutton 22:13 25 Mar 2008

That explains it I have Vista Ultimate which allows me to back up the computer or files

Rob_08 23:30 26 Mar 2008

I just use Hirens boot disk with ghost on it, no install needed and backups everything.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone