Antivirus for vista ( which)

BigB32 18:44 16 Oct 2007

Hi all installed vista ultimate and tried nod32 antivirus on my system , all was well for a few days then a major problem appeared , it seems the anyivirus programme was stopping the built in Nvidia networking controller from connecting on boot up , since then have taken off nod32 and all is well again ,can anyone recommend a good trouble free ( if there is such a thing) programme that runs well on vista paid or free whatever

Cheers for now

Brian

anskyber 19:10 16 Oct 2007

I use the free Avast and it has been effective and totally trouble free for me. click here

Forum Editor 22:43 16 Oct 2007

from time to time, so that I can be up to speed when asked to advise clients. So far in Vista I've used several applications, and currently have BitDefender running. It's fine - it does the job unobtrusively and efficiently, but it's not free.

Mike10C 08:42 17 Oct 2007

Since I installed Vista Home Premium in March I have used both AVG and Avast. They both worked fine until I up-dated my Nvidia 7600 SLI video cards in August. Since then I had problems of video driver failure just after boot up, when the anti-virus programme was starting up, but it did recover. This problem disappeared when I uninstalled the anti virus programme. I then tried out the Kaspersky programme provided on the PC Advisor disc a couple of months ago. This has been on now for more than a week and so far I have no problems. It also gives better and wider range of security than the other programmes I have tried. Unfortunately I only tried Kaspersky after the free offer from PCA had run out, so its not free.

sounds like it may not be av but your video drivers, i found everytime someone updated something it threw something else out of sync. the only av i had no problems with were nod and avg, kis7 started the system has changed errors after a m/s update as did norton. i spent a while going threw older drivers found a balance that worked and did a backup to that configeration so whenever an update broke something i could return to a stable system.
which was: 169 nvid drivers with full ntune, amd optimiser and nod 2.7 with vista and router firewall and spyware blaster this set up never had any problems. any auto updates apart from security and i would usually return to this setup. i have left vista alone for a while as frankly i just didnt like it.

BigB32 20:21 17 Oct 2007

Update
Hi all since I did the original post it seems my problem may not be down to nod32 after all ,but a driver related issue for the controller which means I may be able to put nod32 back on ,if I can sort out the driver issue

Cheers
Brian

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?