Anti Virus turns off in W 7

Danny D 01:07 24 Jan 2010

I have been running W 7 Profesional 64 bit for nearly a month now. Every day or so I find that the Anti virus is somehow turned off. I was running M/Soft Essentials first and then I switched to the latest version of AVG (free) and it is still happening.

Anyone have an idea what is causing this?

Danny

mrwoowoo 16:34 25 Jan 2010

If both of them kept shutting down, then i would suspect that malware could be responsible.
Try doing a scan with Malwarebytes (free) and see if it finds anything. click here
I take it that your not running both M/Soft Essentials and AVG as they may well conflict with each other.

Danny D 21:50 25 Jan 2010

Mrwoowoo

Thanks for the suggestion, I tried your advice it objected to Perfect Optimiser (a registry de-fragger etc) which I am confident is ok but nothing else. Microsoft have suggested that it might be a deamaged installation of the Anti Virus and also asked me did I have Norton on the machine. I was fairly confident that I did not have Norton / Symantec (dreaded rubbish)in there but did a search anyway. I know from previous experience Norton buries files deep in your system and they try force you to sign up to Norton and basically take the machine over. It found 4 small Symantec files. They were deleted straight away so now I will see what happens.

Danny

auctions 19:38 27 Jan 2010

Install eset nod32 it works fine for me - earlier i too faced the same problem in win7 now it is totally solved when i installed nod32
[url=click here]Indian Matrimony[/url]

mfletch 17:49 03 Feb 2010

It is most likaly that you still have part of a Antivirus leftover on the PC

Run this Norton removal tool click here

Also download and run this

AppRemover is a free utility that enables users to remove antivirus and other applications as well as left over files from incomplete uninstallations click here

User-1229748 18:17 03 Feb 2010

perfect optimizer spelled with a z if that is what you have is a nasty according to this and may well be the source of your problems click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone