After I reinstalled Vista

prima12 17:49 22 Apr 2008

Hi all, I migrated straight from W98se to Vista and am still finding my way around it. My grandson did something to my PC which altered my network settings so that I couldn't connect to the internet, after a lot of to and fro with Virginmedia B/B help line I was informed that I needed to reinstall the network settings from the disc, thinking that it would reinstall directly over the top, and that I wouldn't lose any data. It appeared to completely replace Vista as if I had formatted the hard drive, I know what some are going to say, "what about using system restore", well, I forgot about it being there, I was somewhat angry at what had happened. I now find I have a folder "Windows.old" which has various data from the first install. Now for the question, do I now need to keep this folder, or can I delete or perhaps save it somewhere else, i.e. on my external hard drive? Sorry it's a bit long winded.
P.

anskyber 19:01 22 Apr 2008

Windows.old are the files relating to your previous system.

This explains it and a method for removal if you choose to do so. click here

prima12 19:23 22 Apr 2008

Thanks for your reply. While I was waiting I also found this,
support.microsoft.com/kb/930527
P.

pk46 12:35 24 Apr 2008

You are very lucky indeed if you can run Vista on a computer that came with W98 i have an old Brio that i just keep going for fun but it won't run Vista,max Ram on this computer is 512MB SDR.

prima12 17:31 24 Apr 2008

No, it's a new computer. P.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017