Adding a second GFX card.

Pine Man 16:28 25 Jul 2007

I have an Asus PN5-E SLI mobo with a 512mb DDR2 nVidia GeForce 7300GS (256mb SMA) Graphics Card fitted.

When I have got an SLI bridge I intend to add a second graphics card of the same spec.

Is this a straightforward task?

Are there any pitfalls to beware of?

Is it actually worth doing? (Should have put this right at the top I suppose!)

I am not into heavy duty games just things like Flight SimX etc.

crosstrainer 16:39 25 Jul 2007

If you have an sli board, then your only potential problem is your PSU. I am running 2xGTX cards with this:

click here

The two cards are power hungry, and it's better to be safe than sorry.

Pine Man 16:44 25 Jul 2007

Thanks for your response.

I have a 550 watt PSU but I am not sure how close I am getting to it's limit.

There used to be a site where you could go and enter the contents of your PC and it would give an indication of the PSU you required. Anybody any ideas?

crosstrainer 16:58 25 Jul 2007

Is out of date now, and doesn't have a handle on this new kit. Take it from me 550watts is not enough, 750 borderline 1000 safe and happy.

Scary though, imagine a one kilowatt old electric fire! (only dishes out that much power when it's needed, but play an intensive game and in kick the fans up goes though power.

Pine Man 17:03 25 Jul 2007

Thanks again.

The most intensive 'games' I use are Flight SimX and (hangs head in shame) Train Sim. On the basis that I go ahead will I need different mobo drivers?

crosstrainer 17:08 25 Jul 2007

Should have come with drivers, and if not Vista will install them. Your problem may come with the Nvidia sli drivers for the 8800 series cards, but feel free to email me, as I know a few tips and tricks for setting this up.

I haven't tried the new flight sim on this rig yet mainly because it means moving all my force feed back kit to the newer rig.

You will have to upgrade that PSU though without a doubt.

Pine Man 17:15 25 Jul 2007

I feel a G&T coming on - still a new mobo won't break the bank!

You mention 8800 series cards mine is a 7300?

If I decide to go ahead and come across some issues I'll take up your offer of the yellow envelope.

Many thanks.

crosstrainer 17:25 25 Jul 2007

Still need more power be safe with the 730 watt version of the enermax or this:

click here

Thought you had 2 x 8800gtx cards...same applies about the sli drivers though...the new mobo will come with the bridge.

Pine Man 17:49 25 Jul 2007

Had a couple of glasses of wine & everythings ok now. I'll let you know how I get on!

an observation, why dont you buy a better card instead, i tried sli and it was deafening all the heat from the bottom card goes straight into the top one. it was a pre built one i had from a very good manufaturer from new the top card was hitting the 90c's on standard clock, there was no room to add non standard cooling so i had to fit a side fan and an exhaust fan between the cards in an attempt to get them cooler than the sun! the psu and all the case fans were at full continuously after 5 mins. this was one of the reasons the pc was returned.

if you go sli 2 7600gt's run fine on a 530watt 18amp hiper as a guidline.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?