Acronis

sueann1 10:02 02 Apr 2008

I have a couple of threads on the go at the moment with C drive and driver problems which I hope to have ironed out this week from some great advice you have given me, once this is done I want to do a full back-up of my PC including Vista operating system, I have come across mentioned in another thread Acronis does it do exactly what is says on the box a complete back-up of everything to disc? will it also back-up my External HD? are there any other similar packages out there that will do this you recommend. Is it simple to do? Thank you.

ventanas 10:13 02 Apr 2008

Yes it does do exactly what it says. It will back up whatever drives you tell it to to whatever location you wish. I use a second internal hard drive to back up to, but you can use an external drive or dvd etc.
There are others. such as Norton Ghost (which used to be called Drive Image), but I don't think it has many supporters here.
Why not have a go at the free trial click here

mooly 13:21 02 Apr 2008

Brilliant ACRONIS tutorial at click here

Pine Man 16:18 02 Apr 2008

I changed from Ghost years ago after all sorts of problems.

Acronis is brilliant. I have just restored my 'C' drive, containing Vista, to another drive. It contained about 50GB of stuff and took about 20 minutes to install.

It worked exactly as the old drive did, immediately, with no fiddling etc.

irishrapter 18:09 02 Apr 2008

I use Acronis a lot, I think its very fast if you backup / recover via the network to another computer.

Rob_08 16:27 03 Apr 2008

I thought vista Ultimate was capable of creating its own Drive -Images ?

Pine Man 16:35 03 Apr 2008

'I thought vista Ultimate was capable of creating its own Drive -Images ?'

....and all versions of Vista have system restore but mine only works when I don't need it;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?