Acer Laptop Not Connecting To Wi-Fi

hgg1900 13:59 16 Sep 2017

My Windows 10 Acer Laptop fell off its fan and onto the floor when I wasn't in my room. As soon as I picked it up the chunk connecting all the keys was loose, I clicked it back in place and it looked fine. Everything was okay till I got onto my laptop and realized it couldn't connect to the internet. When I troubleshoot it, it says there is something wrong with the Ethernet cable. I've never used one so I know that isn't the issue. Can I get any help?

onthelimit1 15:06 16 Sep 2017

It may have dislodged the wifi card. You may be able to access it under one of the removable panels on the base.

Menzie 00:28 17 Sep 2017

Without knowing the exact specifics of your laptop I must warn you that some laptops are easier to open than others. With some it'll be as simple as a flap to access the Wi-Fi hardware. With others you may need to remove the bottom.

The latter is something I would not recommend if you aren't comfortable doing so. It would be better to take it to a technician and have them do it.

I once upgraded a friend's laptop memory once and to do that I had to remove the entire base, remove the keyboard and various heatshields (the Wi-Fi was about 70% of that journey in). Chances are if the Wi-Fi is no longer picking up it has become dislodged or broken so the laptop sounds like it definitely needs to be opened.

Another thing I just thought of, have you tried the FAN button on the keyboard and whatever shortcut key is assigned to turn the Wi-Fi on and off? Stranger things have happened when a system has fallen.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017