80073712 Error code

nwarp 06:25 25 Sep 2007

As a result of what appears to be a corrupt automatic update download from Microsoft I can no longer receive automatic updates. The error code is 80073712 I have tried various suggestions to correct the problem none have been successful even those from Microsoft. Microsoft phone in Techs cannot help in fact they haven't got a clue - they give some strange advice. After trying one suggestion I now have an error code of 800B0100. I can download Vista security updates manually which is a pain.

Prior to this I had no problems with automatic updates. Go to Google with 80073712 and see how widespread the problem is.

I don't want to re-instal Vista if I can avoid it I have to many programmes, for which I paid good money, with the possibility of losing any of them.
It took me sometime and research to set up the system.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm an average home computer user. Retired.
I don't use Microsoft security I use third party programmes.

Regards from down under

Vista premium - 6300 dual core - 2G memory - Nod32- router - wired network with a xp pro computer - Zone alarm free -

Mike10C 08:10 25 Sep 2007

Have you tried a system restore to take you back to before the problem update? This should correct the problem and leave all the programmes that were present at that time.

nwarp 08:24 01 Oct 2007

I've tried system restore without success others have had the same result. I'm going to try startup repair and see what happens.

Regards from down under

lachakhs 08:32 02 Oct 2007

You can try few steps tofix this issue.

Step 1:
Try to stop "Windows update" "Background Intelligent Transfer Service" and "Cryptographic Services"

[TO GET INTO SERVICES WINDOW]
(Type "services.msc" (without quotes) in advance search option. Just right click and click on 'properties' you will get an option to stop the services.)

Step 2:
Rename the "Software distribution" folder and "Catroot2" folder under (C:\Windows\System32). Sometimes "Software distribution" will be under (C:\Windows) just check it out.

Step 3:
Reregister dll files related to windows update.

a. Click Start, click Run, type cmd , and then click OK.
b. At the command prompt, type cd %windir%\system32 , and then press ENTER.
c. Type the following commands, and then press ENTER after each command: • Regsvr32 Jscript.dll
• Regsvr32 Msxml3.dll
• Regsvr32 Atl.dll
• Regsvr32 Wuapi.dll
• Regsvr32 Wuaueng.dll
• Regsvr32 Wuaueng1.dll
• Regsvr32 Wucltui.dll
• Regsvr32 Wups.dll
• Regsvr32 Wuweb.dll

d. Type exit , and then press ENTER to close the Command Prompt window

Step 4:
Restart all the 3 services which we stoped in step:1. Make sure the Status should be "Started" and Startup type should be "Automatic."

Then try to do windows update.
You can also ref kb 914224
click here

Please reply back if you have any doubts in it.

nwarp 06:31 08 Oct 2007

Step 3 I found a batch file on another forum tried it but no success. Decided to try Startup Repair. Next problem - it is not one of the options on my original Vista disc.

Decided to jump in at deep end and try upgrade option because of no loss of files from a previous install.

Upgrade completed successfully.

Next problem - My copy of Vista wasn't legal according to a screen caption.

Solution. Try to authenticate. I could run my system in reduced mode. After trying menu prompt suggestions, without success, I phoned Microsoft to find Tech support is only available 9 to 5 monday to Friday in Australia !! Phone Monday please said the Indian call centre operator.
There was one more option to try I started punching the code numbers into the phone which I had been given by the Microsoft computer prompt. A female Indian call centre operator cut in to tell me the authenticate server was down and to try some time later.

By this time I was seriously thinking of migrating to Linux.

Waited over night. Still no success then tried the punching code mode as directed by the computer generated voice. All 54 alpha numeric characters then copied the 54 digits I received in reply. Keyed them into the computer. Damn me if it didn't work.

The test now will be this months updates will they be automatically downloaded and installed. All available updates were downloaded automatically during the upgrade so here's hoping.

Thank you from down under.

nwarp 07:05 10 Oct 2007

The automatic monthly update operative at last. Automatically updated this months updates today.

All is ok with the world!!

Regards from Down Under

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone