64 Bit or 32 bit - Should This Matter?

thegreypanther 23:47 29 Mar 2007

I've been using my new 64-bit PC for the past 3 or 4 days, running with Windows Vista Home Premium, and am becoming exasperated.
I have singularly failed to get my Epson 1650 scanner to work, even using alleged Epson drivers for Vista.
Now I find that I can't get ProShow Gold to work, amongst other programs.
Is this program / driver incompatibility a function of Windows Vista? Or is it a function of 64-bit vs 32-bit vs 16-bit?
Strikes me that an awful lot of the members of Joe Public are going to be going bananas with highly touted new PCs which simply spit out Joe Public's old programs.

anskyber 08:43 30 Mar 2007

Its mostly a 64 bit issue. Drivers for Vista are available but for some things they have been slow to come out from manufacturers. Drivers are appearing quite rapidly now. 32 bit Vista users have either had the proper drivers or been able to use XP drivers or other "generic" drivers.

64 bit users are less well off. In effect as part of the design of the OS only signed (final/approved) drivers will be accepted by Vista 64. The result is there is less flexbility and some have had your experience.

thegreypanther 10:38 30 Mar 2007

Many thanks.
Looks like I should have hung on a bit before getting a state-of-the-art PC.
When things are working, it's a splendid bit of equipment, but as with all PCs it's an enormous source of frustration when it doesn't work.
Problem is, I need the thing to get on with my own work!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone