32 or 64 bit

Dragonsteeth 19:05 07 Jan 2009

What is the difference between Vista 32 bit and Vista 64 bit. ?

skidzy 20:35 07 Jan 2009

click here
click here

The links should explain it better than me.

Personally i see no reason to go for 64bit unless you use applications that need more than 3GB of ram,such as heavy video/photo editing.

This explanation of 64bit cpu is a little dated but the basics still apply click here

Teaboy 17:02 08 Jan 2009

The advantage of 64 bit to me is that it enables large chunks of RAM. For years techoes have stressed "get more RAM" if you wish to improve performance. I have 8GB,yummy-yummy. The machine simply flys!

Teaboy 17:05 08 Jan 2009

PS. skidzy's third link is useful. It still applies.

Forum Editor 18:13 08 Jan 2009

of Vista if you're only going to be using 32bit software. It may sound like fun being able to have more than 4Gigabytes of RAM under the bonnet, but if you only use 32bit applications you won't notice any difference.

For most home users a 64bit operating system is rather pointless.

Teaboy 17:58 09 Jan 2009

Forum Ed

You are entitled to an opinion. You are entitled to express it. But unless you have a 64bit job, the opinion you express is of little worth. I have a 64bit machine,and I wouldn't swap it for the lesser 32bit, It is a beaut, so fast that sites or pograms selected appear on screen before being requested. I have a little trouble with 32bit programs, but not bothersome. Thank you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?