Youth Curfew in Redruth

laurie53 08:54 10 Jul 2008

A voluntary youth curfew has been set up in Redruth

click here

How long before it becomes a breach of human rights?

birdface 10:04 10 Jul 2008

They have tried this in a few towns in Scotland but I don't know what the results were maybe someone will let us know,Good idea and maybe should be used everywhere.Maybe the parents should be punished in some way they should be looking after them and not allowing them to be able to Drink take drugs Etc and cause a nuisance to everyone else.Like everything else it is only a minority of children that do this and those are the ones that have to be watched.[a breach of human rights]I think this was also mentioned when this was tried in Scotland.

spuds 11:32 10 Jul 2008

" they face tough parenting orders". I am afraid its going to be a case of seeing is believing. Many feral kids have no inclination of obeying their parents or guardians. Asking the authorities to help,can also bring sad results.

How many times do you read lately, when a parent as 'shopped' their child, because the parent couldn't cope any longer. After doing this act, the parent can feel relieved or in fear.

We have a very nice park near us, and I can guarantee that there is evidence of late night underage and teenage drinking and drug taking, there every morning. This park as a enforcement order, but there is never a police presence as a deterrent.A couple of PSCO's on occasions in daylight hours perhaps, but thats about the limit.

birdface 12:19 10 Jul 2008

I was not sure what you meant about feral kids,So looked it up on the computer and it was what I was thinking but had not heard of the name.I did watch a few programs on the TV within the last 6 months about kids like that and how they went to a sort of boot camp with one of there parents,And after the boot camp session it was great to see how well most of them were then getting on with there parents.So there is help out there for them but obviously not enough.

Bingalau 12:42 10 Jul 2008

Up until I was seventeen I had to be home by 21.00 hrs. (9.00 p.m.). My parents were very strict as were most parents in those days. I then joined the Royal Marines and served for two and a half years abroad on active service. So by the age of 21 and on the first night of my leave I was extremely surprised to find my dad had locked me out because I wasn't home by 22.00 hrs. (I slept that night in my girl friend's house, courtesy of her father). We've often laughed about it since.

wilfyboy 12:42 10 Jul 2008

i think this curfew is another step towards the ridiculous nannying of this country. its yet another case of inconviniencing everyone instead of tackling the few that are the problem. Why should law abiding people, which is what most teenagers are, be stopped from going about their business because the police and society cant or wont put the effort in to stop the offenders who are, and will still, causing the trouble? We see it time and time again. Speeding,reckless drivers using a particular road? we dont catch them and fine them or confinscate their cars in serious cases, oh no that would punish them, instead we put speed humps in to slow everyone to 10 mile an hour which ups the CO2 emmissions, use's more fuel and hurts my back (im a delivery driver) while the people it was supposed to stop use them as ramps. In my area if you put your bin out the night before its due to be collected you get fined up to £200, why, because the little darlings were setting them alight, and again instead of actually catching and punishing them, the council inconvinienced the whole community costing some people (nightshift, lateshift workers)hundreds of pounds, who quite rightly objected to getting up ay 7am to put their bin out
There is only one way to stop this tide of crime and indifference and that is to stop worrying about the extra 2or3 pound a week it will cost everyone and employ more real policemen to catch them in the first place, give them a proper sentence, something like the old Community Service Orders where they learned to do decorating, brickying etc whilst doing up old peoples house's community centres etc, this succesful scheme nwas stopped because of the cost, for repeat offenders a jail sentence with a not brutal, but spartan regime (no telly's no phones except as an earned treat etc) and while they are there try and teach them a bit consideration for others, as their parents have clearly failed.
Until we stop punishing the innocent to placate the guilty this country will remain in the quagmire its in today

birdface 14:13 10 Jul 2008

Well said.But unfortunately all the prisons are full up.So where are they going to put them.

DieSse 14:53 10 Jul 2008

I couldn't agree more.

See spuds earlier post on how simple police actions would prevent a problem in a park.

Banning everybody to stop a few was never a good idea. And the ones that actually need stopping will probably carry on regardless anyway.

When will the police ever wake up to the idea that it's actually catching the lawless that acts as a deterrent - not banning everybody then taking the easy way out and catching the generally law-abiding.

Banning people in general (children or not) from public places is totally outrageous. Just catch the yobs please!

Chegs ®™ 16:43 10 Jul 2008

I think a curfew for youths is a good idea,its about time the parents were made to feel responsible for their children.This kind of scheme has been tried in several places and has been successful in reducing the crime/anti-social behaviour.DieSse & wilfyboy say why should everyone be inconvenienced by this,but by increasing the numbers of police everyone is made to pay higher levels of taxation to pay for the extra police,and repair the damage caused by a minority.I first heard the term "feral kids" used on a TV program called CCTV Cities,which showed a group of them hurling abuse at the police then throwing rocks at the police van which was watching over a stolen car causing the police to withdraw so the car could be used by criminals again.The police have tried a softer approach to children drinking,ordering those caught to pour out the drinks and other ways of dealing with problem children and this latest method seems unfair but if you've ever been the target of the yobs(I have)then you would greatly appreciate knowing that after 9pm you could relax a little in knowing your windows arent going to be pelted,your car damaged and if you go to let the dog out,your not going to be subject to abuse.

Al94 16:52 10 Jul 2008

A smack on the ear worked in my day.

DieSse 17:02 10 Jul 2008

I can foresee exactly what will happen. Law abiding families will keep their kids in - yobs will still go out.

It was the same with guns - the law abiding gave up their guns and pastime - the criminals take no notice.

When will people realise that criminal and yob elements disregard the law - that's why they are what they are.

If the police can enforce a curfew, they can enforce the law on the streets without a curfew. It's only the same set of yobs and criminals when all's said and done.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie