You're already reeling from the disaster

Forum Editor 08:49 02 Feb 2011

caused by flood-water, and this comes charging in from the sea:-

click here

I was in the Barrier reef area not so long ago, and people were still talking about the last typhoon causing huge amounts of damage. heaven knows what the next 24 hours will bring.

onthelimit 09:20 02 Feb 2011

Oz seems to have had more than its fair share of weather related probs in the last 12 mths. I've spent many a pleasant walk along the beach at Port Douglas which, it looks, could be hit this time.

Graham. 09:34 02 Feb 2011

click here

Credits: muddypaws

jakimo 11:54 02 Feb 2011

They do appear to be coping with the floods better than we cope with just a few days of snow

john bunyan 12:40 02 Feb 2011

I have friends in Brisbane and Cairns. The Brisbane ones were lucky to be on higher ground than the main floods and helped with their 13ft "tinnie" (aluminium boat) with the salvage. I am phoning later to see how their daughter in Cairns is coping.

spuds 13:06 02 Feb 2011

Considering what is happening in certain parts of the world. We here in the UK still seem to moan when the water board takes two hours to form an emergency repair team, when a major water pipe bursts, so preventing further flooding in the area.

Just happened down the road from me, and it caused havoc?.

But having said that, I recall when Barbados was put on emergency flooding alert, and I saw my BMC 1100 sink, after three days of downpours. Landslides elsewhere etc are another story!.

Seth Haniel 15:22 02 Feb 2011

i'd phone now - they rekon the phones may be out later

My friend further down between Rockhampton and Brisbane escaped with just wet feet

peter99co 15:27 02 Feb 2011

Thank goodness our Cousin lives in Brisbane and high enough to clear the floods. She has been spared so far.

rawprawn 16:24 02 Feb 2011

Having visited both Cairns and Townsville, I think that the threatened 180 mph winds will wreak havoc with many buildings, which I doubt would be structurally able to withstand that force.

rawprawn 16:27 02 Feb 2011

I should add I sincerely hope I am wrong, but there are many Clapboard homes all along that stretch of coastline.

johndrew 16:33 02 Feb 2011

I have a lot of sympathy for the residents in the area. First they get washed out and then blown out. A huge loss of property (mainly uninsured as I understand it) and a substantial loss of life; both, sadly, are likely to be increased given the power of this typhoon.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?