Your views on personal car number plates

bumpkin 16:35 02 Jun 2013

Hi all, what views do you have regarding personal vehicle registrations. The opinions I have had in the past is that they are stupid, ostentatious, good investment. Apart from individuals they are often used by bus and coach companies and transport firms so that the age of the vehicle is not apparent, not something that bothers me but what say you.

Forum Editor 16:37 02 Jun 2013

On a commercial vehicle there may be some point to it. Otherwise I think that personalised number plates are unbelievably naff.

Quickbeam 16:40 02 Jun 2013

I take it do don't drive around in FE1...

wiz-king 16:55 02 Jun 2013

Years ago my local vet had VET 1 0K on a very ancient Mercedes estate by the addition of an extra space.

bumpkin 16:57 02 Jun 2013

He has PCA 1 I think.

bumpkin 17:06 02 Jun 2013

I have seen VET 1 on a Ferrari, no wonder people are scared to take their pets for treatment.

john bunyan 17:06 02 Jun 2013

I agree with FE - naff.

rdave13 17:25 02 Jun 2013

Could be "naff" but a possible good investment. Some of the prices are OTT I think. dvlaregistrations.direct.gov.uk.

Bing.alau 17:35 02 Jun 2013

I think you have to have a certain type of brain to want a personalised vehicle number. Mind you I have got one, it came with the vehicle and indicates nothing to me but I believe the authorities can trace it back to me. I think everybody gets a personalised number when they buy a new vehicle.

I can understand a person wanting to keep the same number all the time though. Once you change vehicles you get a different number and then, when you are booking in to a hotel or something and when asked for your vehicle reg number you have to go back outside to look as you can't remember it.

Is that just me or is it down to the age related thing.

rdave13 17:47 02 Jun 2013

Bing.alau , not just you! I've had my car going on 5 years and I'm now just getting to the stage of remembering the number.

bumpkin 17:55 02 Jun 2013

"I think you have to have a certain type of brain to want a personalised vehicle number. Mind you I have got one,"

Good, what type of brain is it?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?