Your view on the NHS

MrCutter 14:36 01 May 2008

I work in the NHS as a Consultant (still) think the service we offer to our customers/clients/patients is very good at the NHS Trust i work at.

But what is your view of the service you get from your local NHS or Primary Care Trusts?

Noels 15:17 01 May 2008

My wife and I are both 73.
I have no complaints at all. I have to see a consultant every 6 months. I'm seen within 30 minutes of my appointment time and can have a useful discussion.
My wife on the other hand has eye problems and also has to see a consultant every 6 months. I think in the last four years the consultant has only kept one appointment as originally made. All her other appointments have been rearranged. Not so good!
Regards
Noels

Cymro. 15:33 01 May 2008

The problem with commenting on the NHS is that most of us have nothing else to compare it with. I don`t know if there is a system anywhere else in the world that operates as the NHS does. I suspect it would be very difficult to find a way to compare like with like.

My own experience of the NHS has on the whole been very good but like any very large organisation things do go wrong. I don`t know the figures but I believe the NHS is one of the largest employers in Europe.

The present government have pumped more money in to it than anyone but still there are problems. It has always been something of a kicking boy with everyone having their own horror story.

As someone who has reason to take interest I will follow this thread closely but doubt if I or the NHS will be any the wiser at the end of it all.

donki 16:30 01 May 2008

I had a knee operation (ICL Reconstruction) last Christmas, on boxing day. From the referal by my GP to the operation was just over 6 months which I think is resonable, of course I would have loved it the day after referal but we have to be realistic. I was in had my operation and out the next day. I had been given 2 pyhsio sessions before my operation and about 8 after. I have to say I was really impressed with the care I got in the hospital and the treatment of the physio's.

My operation was in Mustgrave Hospital in Belfast, hope this is what your looking for.

tigertop2 16:30 01 May 2008

I have a huge interest in the NHS re my own health history., I also have a daughter in law who works in ITU and a sister who was a leader in her own therapy field

Overall the medical expertise advice at all levels works well and gives good value-PROVIDED you can break through the bureaucratic nightmare of the general admin tail supporting the NHS. As I await my turn I often gaze at the number of people in a hospital who wander around with millboards or files and seem to be more on the look out for someone to chat to rather than focussed on their job. There is a lack of professionalism in some levels re appointment procedures, medical records and often just plain common sense. More money IS needed for treatment but hospital managers could up their game,save money --and improve everyday support problems.

Earthsea 16:36 01 May 2008

My GP referred me to a consultant once and it took 18 months before I saw him. Fortunately, it turned out not to be serious. Fortunately.

oresome 16:54 01 May 2008

My feeling is that vast amounts of money have and are still being spent on buildings and equipment(and possibly staff salaries), but it hasn't yet translated into a much better service for the patient.

A hospital is a complex organisation and we need quality management that can get a handle on it and change staff practise where needed.

My experience of private treatment was altogether better, but the scale was much smaller and less complex to manage well.

Forum Editor 17:30 01 May 2008

large service organisation - some parts of it deliver a superb service, some don't. It's run by people, for people, and as we all know, people don't always perform as they should. Medical staff aren't on top form all of the time, and patients are using the service because they need help of some kind or another - they're stressed and/or below par.

By and large the NHS seems to function pretty well, given the huge administrative problems it faces, and taking into account the numbers of people using the service at any one time. If you go looking for problems you'll find them, and if it's examples of excellence you're after there are lots of them. Each of us has a unique experience with the NHS - ask 1000 people what they think and you'll get 1000 slightly different answers.

birdface 17:44 01 May 2008

Service is great but unfortunately when you go into my Local hospital there is a chance that you will not come back out.I was supposed to go in for an operation 18 months ago.But as it is supposed to be the worst hospital in Britain for infectious diseases.I declined the operation.

peg 17:57 01 May 2008

no complaints from me, I think its an excellent service thats the envy of many other country's. of course there are mistakes made but as stated before an organization so large is never going to operate to perfection. (excuse the pun)

georgemac © 18:02 01 May 2008

I hope I never ever have to see you or one of your colleagues - this means I will still be healthy!

I am happy with the service provided by my GP, and a few month's ago I had to visit casualty in Aberdeen on a Friday evening with one of my son's friends and the service was very good. Had to visit our local casualty with a cut hand and again service was good.

I am fortunate to have private medical insurance from my employer, I have never used it but my wife has and it does make a difference, and I am happy to pay the extra tax contributions for having this benefit.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?