Is your town as depressing as

paul€ 18:40 17 Oct 2007

middlesbrough.

The town ( boro ) has received this years accolade of
"worst place to live in Britain":

Is your town nearly rans? click here

Forum Editor 18:56 17 Oct 2007

'Location, Location, Location' bestowed the title"

Ah, that's it then - Middlesborough it is - those researchers must know what they're talking about.

Bingalau 18:57 17 Oct 2007

FE. I take it you had the proverbial Tongue in Cheek when you said that?

laurie53 19:26 17 Oct 2007

Since this is the channel that regards Big Brother as entertainment their opinions might not count a lot with some people.

anskyber 19:28 17 Oct 2007

Ah yes, Middlebrough.

Let them all think it is the worst place. For goodness sake do not tell them it's only 10 miles from the outstanding North York Moors National Park and only a little over an hour's drive from three other amazing National Parks such as the Lake District.

Do not tell them about the significant improvements to the town and the easy access with good communications to other major regional centres. Keep it quiet and enjoy it with the others who know the truth about the north of England.

Clapton is God 20:36 17 Oct 2007

"the easy access with good communications to other major regional centres"

Presumably that's to enable you to leave Middlesbrough faster is it?

Ade_1 21:00 17 Oct 2007

Middlesbrough is depressing? That's new to me. Please tell me how it is depressing... I'd love to know.

I am awfully pleased that I'm living up North and more specifically in Middlesbrough, or now the outskirts if you want.

I believe that this "research" (I use the term extremely lightly) is supposed to have been done on crime rates and the like. What these researchers don't seem to have noticed is the dramatic fall in crime rates. They are constantly falling and Mayor Ray Mallon is constantly talking of this.

Also I think that one of the main factors in Middlesbrough's ranking is the first impressions, which is industry and the reputation of being full of smog. People don't seem to realise that our industry isn't as bad as what it looks. It was scientifically proven earlier this year that Middlesbrough has some of the cleanest air in the the country.

Whilst I'm on I would like to mention how friendly people are up here. The amount of Southern people that I have spoken to or have heard on the radio saying how nice people are in Middlesbrough and up North is outstanding. A lot of people from the Middlesbrough area were asked about this result and what they thought and some Southerners gave their answers and they all preferred it to the South in terms of the people. In my opinion the people can make a place.

Don't get me wrong, Middlesbrough does have many lesser developed areas and "chav" problems, but where doesn't? It also have its crime problems, which like I said are on their way down, and it does have a lot of industry, but it looks worse than it is.

I am unable to make a true comparison to the South as I have never really had a prolonged period of time living in a city or town properly. I've only been down when on holiday and I can't get a true representation from that. I am sure that the South isn't as bad as what some people say, but I can only go on what I have read. Although it does seem as though there are certain biases to the South...

I would also have to echo what Anskyber has said -

"Let them all think it is the worst place. For goodness sake do not tell them it's only 10 miles from the outstanding North York Moors National Park and only a little over an hour's drive from three other amazing National Parks such as the Lake District.

Do not tell them about the significant improvements to the town and the easy access with good communications to other major regional centres. Keep it quiet and enjoy it with the others who know the truth about the north of England."

With regards the town, there have been significant improvements and it is a lot better than what it used to be. A lot of money has gone into improving Middlesbrough.

I think that these researchers should spend a week or so here to see what it is really like as opposed to 5 minutes.

I am sorry if I have gone on a bit here, but I feel as though people need to know a bit more than what has been portrayed in newspapers and the like.

ray7 21:03 17 Oct 2007

These so-called 'reserchers'. It would be interesting to know

a. What use are the results of the research
b. Where do the researchers come from
c How much ate they being paid
d Who pays them
e Where do they obtain the funds

The same questions apply to the many different useless surveys we that seem to appear daily

Forum Editor 21:17 17 Oct 2007

is the merest hint of a criticism of the part of the country in which people live. This thread has been running less than three hours and already we have touches of both paranoia and prejudice.

I've lived in the North Yorkshire moors, and the Surrey countryside, and now I live in London. Each of these places is, in its own way, a great place to live. The people in all three places are very different, but equally likeable. There are places in Yorkshire I wasn't too keen on, and some parts of Surrey aren't my cup of tea. Certain areas of London are just awful, and some are wonderful.

It's all England, and I love it. My own country (Wales) comes in for a fair share of criticism and prejudiced comment from time to time, but then my compatriots sometimes don't go out of their way to be nice about the English.

It's life, and frankly to name a town "worst place to live in Britain", based on a cursory examination of some statistics raked over by a few TV researchers is ludicrous.

Sapins 22:43 17 Oct 2007

"Presumably that's to enable you to leave Middlesbrough faster is it?"

You cracked this one about Hartlepool, not got any original ones eh?

Stuartli 23:24 17 Oct 2007

I watched the programme, which was presented live.

E-mails from people living in the 20 best and 20 worst towns and cities seemed divided on the overall judgments; however there were not enough e-mails shown or read out to present what would be considered a balanced view due to limited time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?