Your Correct Tyre Pressures ?

Noels 08:17 19 Oct 2007

After reading an article in "The Times" motoring section this morning on safe tyre pressures etc. I followed their instructions and visited click here Then went to, Your Correct Tyre Pressure, entered my car registation number (without any spaces) and up pops all the details of my car, make, model, colour and tyre pressures.
Question who else has all the details of my car including the DVLA?

BT 08:25 19 Oct 2007

Most insurance companies can access this information and more.

Mike D 08:57 19 Oct 2007

And, following a brush with clampers last year, so do they it seems.

Chris the Ancient 09:25 19 Oct 2007

I put my registration in...
Make - unknown
Model - unknown (but they did get it right that it's a 5-door)
Colour - blue (correct)
And then it gives some tyre pressures.

So, if they don't know what my car make and model is, how come they can give me the tyre pressures?

wee eddie 12:31 19 Oct 2007

There's a small difference between the site's recommendation and that of the Manufacturer.

The site recommendation is 2psi higher than the Plate on the door pillar!

Who should I believe?

Stuartli 12:45 19 Oct 2007

If you do a fair bit of motorway work, I would keep the tyre pressures at two to three pounds higher than the manufacturer's recommendation (they normally advise on the increase for high speed travel in the manual).

spuds 12:49 19 Oct 2007

My registration came through as 'not found on database'.

Who else as details about your vehicle. Most people who have access to fee or non-fee paying database.

I wonder what psi the link would show, if you were driving a 4x4 in the sands of Dubai or Saudi?.

spuds 12:51 19 Oct 2007

Stuartli, I agree, but what about aquaplaning ;o)

TopCat® 13:03 19 Oct 2007

to the actual loading of the vehicle when checking tyre pressures. Fully loaded with passengers and luggage means inflation to a higher pressure - 2psi more approx - should be ensured. Reverting back to 'normal' use the pressures should be adjusted down again. For a correct reading, with an accurate gauge, the pressures should be checked only when they are cool.

Keeping your tyres at the right pressures for the vehicle's situation will extend their life (possibly yours as well if you don't) when driven with due consideration.

By the way, I've just checked the site and my old car isn't on the list, but I know the tyres are just right! :o) TC.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:08 19 Oct 2007

three years out
wrong colour
pressures different to what's on the door pillar.

I know mine are right as just put 4 new ones on for the MOT.

VideoSentry 14:19 19 Oct 2007

The site states my pressure should be 0 front and 0 back!!!! it was re-registered from Diplomatic plates so I assume that experian do not have the details of all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?