Before you post a video clip link

WhiteTruckMan 00:48 06 Aug 2007

Have a read of this

click here

It may just give you pause for thought.

WTM

€dstowe 07:37 06 Aug 2007

Having caught a nasty infection once, I NEVER click on shortened URL links nor on references to video clips such as U-tube, even if they originate from the most reliable correspondent.

octal 07:59 06 Aug 2007

Quote: "It may just give you pause for thought."

Not really, just by opening a web browser you're vulnerable by opening ports, in fact just switching the computer on is a risk with the Internet connected all the time, provided your security is up to date you should be OK.

Earthsea 11:13 06 Aug 2007

I agree with octal, there's too much paranoia around. If you stay current with MS high-priority updates and virus updates for your AV then there's little to worry about. I do this and use ZoneAlarm and Spybot's immunize and never get anything on my system apart from a handful of tracking cookies.

Chegs ®™ 03:57 07 Aug 2007

These kind of stories appear every few weeks,I will continue to use my PC as I always have(for my enjoyment)as these exploits will be patched soon enough.

Forum Editor 06:58 07 Aug 2007

with MP3 tracks and video clips, because they have become so commonplace - links to audio and visual material are to be found all over the place. Anyone involved in exploiting vulnerabilities would be stupid if they didn't see media players as an obvious target.

Fortunately many of the loopholes are discovered and disclosed before any malicious use can be made of them, so patches can be issued, as Chegs ®™ points out - nevertheless, a degree of caution is advisable.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?