You heard it here ~ Speaker Martin admits failure

wee eddie 15:15 03 Dec 2008

to do his job but he hasn't got the cojones to resign

birdface 15:24 03 Dec 2008

Even Prime Ministers and Presidents get it wrong.But you don't see them resigning.I suppose nobody is perfect.

hssutton 15:27 03 Dec 2008

But the police did not tell anyone that they did not have a warrant. It's all the police's fault honest Gov.

jakimo 15:30 03 Dec 2008

Was it Martin who got it wrong?,the Sergeant at arms phoned him about the police wanting to search an mp`s office without mentioning that the police did not have a search warrant,surely the Sargeant at arms judgement was at fault,and should have known better

wee eddie 15:42 03 Dec 2008

is the "High Heed Yin" within the House of Commons hierarchy. The Sargent at Arms's direct Boss.

He has a salary which, I believe, tops £100,000 and he also has, within the Building, one of the most expensively decorated "Grace & Favour" Flats in whole of London.

While I agree that the Sargent at Arms should have asked to see the Search Warrant, wouldn't you if the Police came knocking at your door, his Boss carries the burden of responsibility.

laurie53 15:53 03 Dec 2008

Police only need a warrant to search without permission.

In this case they sought, and were given, permission. It's not unusual for the initial approach to be made without a warrant.

If permission had been refused they would have soon be able to get a warrant without too much bother. I think it needs a JP and I am sure Boris could have supplied them with a name!

If you've got nothing to hide why insist on a warrant anyway, unless it's the middle of the night or something?

oresome 17:19 03 Dec 2008

"....why insist on a warrant anyway?"

Perhaps to justify you're not a Government lacky and establish that the police have sufficient reason for a search to satisfy a member of the judiciary?

carver 17:26 03 Dec 2008

It's a funny old world, not very long ago he came under scrutiny about his expenses and he used his position to try and block every attempt to get them published, then he forgets a simple thing like a search warrant.

Never mind it's a simple mistake and he's going to make sure it doesn't happen again, now I wonder why.

beeuuem 17:28 03 Dec 2008

Well that's what happens when the Serjeant at Arms is appointed on a political and personal preference rather than the ability to do the job and a commensurate knowledge of the rules and traditions of Parliament.
The Queen made her feelings on this quite clear by refusing to formally meet the new Serjeant at Arms.

Bapou 19:02 03 Dec 2008

I watched The Speaker's performance live on the Parliament channel. "I did not know the police did not have a warrant" was his defence.

The Serjeant at Arms might have thought, " That's me carrying the can then. Ah well, it was a good job while it lasted" when she heard those words.

He can't be sacked and is not going to give up the job and all that goes with it, even if the pension is a decent one.

Stuartli 21:25 03 Dec 2008

A man mostly out of his depth.

To seemingly blame the Serjeant at Arms, who has only been in the office for a few months and was probably unaware of the consequences of her part in the subsequent police action, is on a "don't blame me Gov" par with that of the Home Secretary and even the PM, who yet again had been conspicuous by his absence.

The Home Secretary claims she was not informed of what had happened until sometime later but, in these days of instant communications, such a response truly beggars belief.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017