Yet another terror threat...

realist 19:26 10 Jul 2007

UK govt accused of insulting Islam

click here

Confab 19:36 10 Jul 2007

To be honest I don’t know the reason why Salman Rushdie was give the honour in the first instance and maybe more importantly why he accepted it. He must have known that it was controversial and would stir things up with Islamic militants.

Sleeping dogs springs to mind.

Stuartli 20:34 10 Jul 2007

But equally the British should be able to decide who or who should not receive honours for whatever reason and certainly not be swayed by militants, no matter where their origin lies.

We still live in a free and democratic country and freedom of speech is a privilege enjoyed by all.

That doesn't mean I agree/disagree with what Rushdie wrote as I've never read anything by him.

From recent comments following the news of his honour I gather it would be pretty soul destroying to even get past the first few pages.

Jak_1 20:51 10 Jul 2007

This is going to be a way of life for some considerable time as it has been since the early 70's' Just a different set of terrorists. There is no easy solution to the problem, at least the IRA gave coded warnings, we don't even get that with Al-Qaeda. What needs to happen is that the security services (MI5) and the police working closer together, at the moment the right hand doesn't seem to know what the left hand is doing.

Kate B 20:55 10 Jul 2007

Excellent post, very well put.

Stuartli 20:57 10 Jul 2007

You are very kind.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?