Yet another scandal in the making?.

spuds 16:04 27 Aug 2014

The forum seems very quiet, so here's a subject that should raise a few comments. Similar incidents have brought the best and worst out of the forum member's in past debates, let's see what the forum member's think about this unfolding scandal .click here

morddwyd 16:09 27 Aug 2014

It's not another scandal, it's the same one, widespread and ongoing.

Forum Editor 16:09 27 Aug 2014

"let's see what the forum member's think about this unfolding scandal"

I would have thought it was fairly obvious - people are horrified by the news. I read one report where the writer said 'If we go looking for child abuse we will find it'.

It seems to me to sum up the situation pretty neatly - child abuse is everywhere.It always has been and always will be with us. The tragedy is that as a society we seem to be unable to make sure that the relevant authorities do something about it whenever evidence of it is presented to them.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:27 27 Aug 2014

Perhaps the deterrent isn't strong enough - how about castration for those found guilty?

Woolwell 16:29 27 Aug 2014

This "unfolding" scandal first came to light in 2010. I was appalled then and appalled now. Quite surprised that it has taken so long to gain momentum. Safeguarding of children and adults has improved in recent years but there is still much work to do.

bumpkin 16:33 27 Aug 2014

A lot of them are women.

Forum Editor 17:47 27 Aug 2014

"Rumpelteazer"

The Home Secretary has said that Shaun Wright should 'heed the calls' and stand down. I predict that he will be gone by the beginning of next week. It's difficult to understand how he can have the nerve to say "I believe I am the most appropriate person to hold this office at this current time," when it's patently obvious that he isn't.

john bunyan 18:18 27 Aug 2014

The police and local authority seem to have been so petrified of an "ethnic backlash" on this issue as (in the majority of the cases concerned here) the perpetrators are mostly from the Pakistani diaspora. I know that in the country, most child abuse is by family members, but in the case of Rotherham, the abuse was from that origin. I heard members of the Muslim community on the radio today expressing the same outrage as the rest of us, so it is a pity this was allowed to become so widespread.

I hope disciplinary action is taken against those who failed in their duty - not a couple of token resignations.

bumpkin 18:26 27 Aug 2014

I hope disciplinary action is taken against those who failed in their duty.

Of course it won't be, don't be so naive.

csqwared 18:51 27 Aug 2014

FE

"I predict that he will be gone by the beginning of next week."

Not sure that will be the case. Just seen him interviewed on local news and he is quite adamant that it was not down to him as an individual, there were joint failings, he has learnt from them and is now utilising this experience in his new role as police commisioner!!!

wee eddie 21:04 27 Aug 2014

Looks like he needs something with a two year sentence. Step forward H M Customs and Revenue. I'm sure that a little digging will do the trick.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone