Yesterdays PC Advisor Blog

babybell 12:58 06 Jan 2009

I was just reading the article on the PC Advisor homepage regarding police having the right to hack into your PC a look at your information.

click here

What really caught my eye was the following paragraph in the article:

"And if that's the view of leftie liberals, imagine what the Daily Mail brigade will make of horrible Frenchies and Nazis being able to look at your email"

Now I'm not trying to stir up anything, but a certain word in that sentence seems a little OTT for me or am I just being a bit sensitive?

GANDALF <|:-)> 13:08 06 Jan 2009

You are not being over-sensitive, I find it completely abhorrent that the words 'Daily Mail' have been used in a family forum. there are many people that are still sensitive to those words, even after 64+ years.

G

Managing ed 14:04 06 Jan 2009

Which word offends?

Bingalau 14:26 06 Jan 2009

Personally I don't think calling our wonderful Police Force "Nazi's" is a good idea.

BryanR 14:31 06 Jan 2009

Aren't their police officers called 'Cheese-eating-surrender-Gendarmes' these days?
Bryan

Managing ed 14:32 06 Jan 2009

I was actually referring to our German cousins, however, while attempting to portray the mindset of 'the Daily Mail brigade'. You could argue that that's not such a good idea either...

babybell 15:17 06 Jan 2009

Well to me the term Nazi was harshly used. I know that word when used broadly is somewhat accepted without causing offence but the manner in which it was used in the blog just seemed a bit much because it is singling out one single organisation and labelling them with it.

simonjary 15:24 06 Jan 2009

I think it's meant to be a parody of how The Daily Mail might view such a story, rather than actually stating that the German police are Nazis.

babybell 15:27 06 Jan 2009

I see what you mean, I did miss that interpretation when I first read it. Not that I think it's justifies its use but there you go, I'm probably just an old fart.

WhiteTruckMan 15:32 06 Jan 2009

in the origin of the quote ‘intrusive surveillance of private property'. May we know the source please?

WTM

Managing ed 15:50 06 Jan 2009

is from a proclamation made after a recent meeting of EU security ministers. Basically it says that police across different member states are permitted to extend the scope of, what it refers to as, ‘intrusive surveillance of private property’ without a court warrant.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?