xxx.9 pence per litre

WhiteTruckMan 08:47 26 May 2011

What is it with fuel retailers that they always tag a .9p on the price of fuel? As one might imagine, I travel throughout the UK (while it still is United, but not for much longer. But thats another story...)and everywhere I go I see it on forecourt signs. And thats not an exaggeration. I realy do mean 'everywhere'. Yes, I know about the old ploy about it not seeming to be as expensive etc, but you would think people would realise this?

Does anyone know of a fuel retailer that doesnt indulge in this practice?

WTM

Bingalau 08:52 26 May 2011

WTM. If I could find a garage or shop that doesn't use the system I would use it. It is a silly practice.

Quickbeam 08:52 26 May 2011

"you would think people would realise this?"

The retailers must all be confident that we all all gullible enough to fall for it:)

dagbladet 11:38 26 May 2011

I don't think I would travel any distance to support a garage that doesn't use this system. Firstly they are far more likely to add the .01 of a penny on (who cares) and why add to your journey, thus using more fuel just to make a stand against what is after all, standard practice.

spuds 11:50 26 May 2011

Surely this is all based on human conception and marketing, and might have a part in one of Charles Dickens novels. You spend a penny to much and you are in trouble, a penny less and you keep the debt collectors away?.

If you go in places like PCW , you may well find items ending in 97p, which usually indicates a clearance offer!.

spuds 11:54 26 May 2011

Surely this is all based on human conception and marketing, and might have a part in one of Charles Dickens novels. You spend a penny to much and you are in trouble, a penny less and you keep the debt collectors away?.

If you go in places like PCW , you may well find items ending in 97p, which usually indicates a clearance offer!.

spuds 11:55 26 May 2011

Apologies for the double entry: The sites appears to be playing up with the post/please wait?.

wids001 11:56 26 May 2011

So if you do actually manage to purchase just ONE LITRE of fuel are you then charged xxx.9p.

Somehow I don't think you are. It is rounded up meaning that the price you pay is NOT the price advertised. Isn't that illegal?

Anyway, I could be wrong but I believe that this pricing is allowed because the price is based on barrel quantities, or something along these lines.

lotvic 11:56 26 May 2011

I think this practice of pricing originated from shopowners, it meant the hired help had to ring up the purchase to open the till to give the penny change. Goes back a long way.

wids001 12:09 26 May 2011

lotvic.

Ringing up 99p to open the till to give change is fair enough but we're talking 9/10ths of a penny here with the fuel price, and even years ago the smallest denomination you could get in change was a farthing. However, as far as shops go, in the good old days of pre-decimisation, a price tag of say £1.19s/11d sounded alot cheaper than something priced at £2.00s/00d, and of course, as you say, you did get change!

Woolwell 12:15 26 May 2011

There was also the practice of pricing in Guineas which were equivalent to £1 1s.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?