XP vs Vista vs Vienna

johndrew 11:57 12 Feb 2007

With all the hype and questions over the costs for Vista, plus the interesting speed comparisons in PCA, not to mention the time taken for its release, do we really need to bother with it given the `proposed` release of Vienna in 2009?

I am beginning to wonder if Microsoft are shooting themselves in the foot on many counts. Apparently schools are pretty cool on Vista (and Works 2007), could this be true of industry and businesses?

Could it be that Vienna turns out to be another Vista in terms of lead times, cost and changes made?

What do you think?

Ho-Lin-Sok 12:38 12 Feb 2007

Seems to be getting like Football team shirts, if Vienna is on time then there seems no point in using Vista, which may take several years to be fully functional.

Totally-braindead 14:02 12 Feb 2007

I think Vienna will probably not make its estimated release date for two reasons. One its too short a time, Vista slipped and so probably will Vienna and the second reason is Vista, if they did release another updated operating system is such a short time I think they would be definately be shooting themselves in the foot.
Microsoft are not fools, they make lots of money and I'm sure that they will delay Vienna as in 2 years time most people will be just about used to Vista and will not want to upgrade again so soon.
I could be wrong of course, only time will tell.

namtas 14:35 12 Feb 2007

I am having a great deal of difficulty understanding the marketing logic of this decision by Microsoft, there is a game plan obviously, but it defeats me and it would on the face beat present day marketing strategies, to announce a replacement days after a new product launch is somewhat bizarre, it does appear to be a very dangerous game, some might say, crazy, it certainly will effect possible present day sales of Vista with perhaps countless thousands deciding to bypass Vista completely, I am mystified to read this at this point in time

silverous 14:48 12 Feb 2007

Why will Vista "may take several years to be fully functional" ?

The Beta was fully functional to me and my final copy of Vista Home Premium arrived today and I plan to install it tonight and make full use of it.

johndrew 15:13 12 Feb 2007

But from start to finish was some 10 years to develop. Apparently there is an update (SP1) in the pipeline and if you look at the XP history there is a similarity already.

Best of luck with the installation, perhaps when you`ve had a chance to try it (as opposed to the Beta - there may be some differences) you will lrt us have your opinion.

johndrew 15:14 12 Feb 2007

I like the `Football team shirts`, and again there is a similarity!!!!

Zero G 15:20 12 Feb 2007

Wonder if Vienna will be like ME ie Vista but tarted up?!?

wee eddie 17:22 12 Feb 2007

M$ have several times mentioned that the next version of Office will be Rented, maybe Windows will go the same route.

Say: £50 per year.

Totally-braindead 17:45 12 Feb 2007

wee eddie haven't heard that before. They propose renting the software, another way of ripping people off I think.
You could if you couldn't afford the newest version of Office as an example buy an older version at a much reduced price.
It appears from what you say they intend to stop that if they can. So if you need to use Office you'll have to pay and keep on paying. Brilliant.

g0nvs 17:55 12 Feb 2007

"Over a barrel" springs to mind.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone