XP License Extension

ex-wirecutter 11:58 14 Apr 2008

I read that Microsoft are to extend the cut off date
for XP home to 2010 , does this mean they will continue to provide updates beyond June as well ?

anskyber 13:07 14 Apr 2008

The XP extension is to allow a MS OS to be installed on the smaller often portable machines with lower specs.

Even after the June cut off date for buying a retail copy of XP MS will continue to support XP with updates for some time, a number of years in fact.

anskyber 13:10 14 Apr 2008

"For technical support and updates, Microsoft will end mainstream support for XP on April 14, 2009, for most editions, and it will end extended support on April 8, 2014 for most editions. (Extended support is not available for consumer licenses.) Both support mechanisms include free security updates. Hot fixes for other issues are free only during the mainstream support period; non-consumer users wanting hot fixes must buy a hot-fix update plan from Microsoft before July 14, 2009."

MS have extended support times in the past and I would not be surprised if they do so with XP.

ex-wirecutter 13:30 14 Apr 2008

Thanks for that , although it is full of fixes and patches and prone to the odd crash , I prefer XP to Vista.

interzone55 15:38 14 Apr 2008

A slight add-on to this

Most OEM's will not install XP on new PCs beyond June this year, this is the date MS have set for the end of sales of all versions of XP. If you insist on XP on a new PC you will have to by a PC with Vista Business or Ultimate installed, you can legally downgrade this to XP Pro buy removing Vista and installing XP Pro in it's place

click here

XP Home will continue to be available for ultra mobile PCs such as the Asus EEPC which are unable to run Vista. Sales of this version will continue until the launch of Windows 7. This new version of Windows is rumoured to have a much smaller footprint than Vista, so will run on lower spec hardware.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?