WWW. and the relvolution

Quickbeam 09:33 23 Feb 2011

There seems to be no doubt that the internet and cell phone technologies must be a primary force in uniting the down trodden peoples of the world against their ruthless leaders and being able to organize destabilising crowds within hours of another near country.

Further to the FE's recent thread about how we would rate the internet, these people must see it as a truly enlightening force enabling them to achieve the freedoms that their masters have told them they already have, and have had for decades.

But will this then cause a WWW. divide around the world whereby dictator states start running scared and impose severe internet restrictions to keep a disgruntled population in check?

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:25 23 Feb 2011

'But will this then cause a WWW. divide around the world whereby dictator states start running scared and impose severe internet restrictions to keep a disgruntled population in check?'...old news, already happens in China/N.Korea etc.

G

Quickbeam 10:52 23 Feb 2011

Meaning even more so, especially the countrys that thought they were nicely stable and all hunky dory like Bahrain.

spuds 11:07 23 Feb 2011

No country is stable, because there will always be someone who objects to something.

Even here in the UK, there are great concerns regarding so call 'activists' within our midst, and that is perhaps one reason why there are place like that 'top secret' building near Cheltenham.

When satellite communications came into being, life and contacts were made far easier. I recall the days when you had to book international calls from certain parts of the globe. Even booking those calls, didn't always result in a good or acceptable connection, if you got it at all.

I suppose that is why nowadays, and perhaps over the past 60 years or so. Any 'disturbances' have always involved the winner taking over the radio stations or setting up their own as a first priority. Let the outside world know?.

I wonder why the spell checker, insists that Cheltenham should really be Charlatanism :O(

sunnystaines 16:18 23 Feb 2011

did anyone watch glen beck on tv last night mentioned if this unrest spreads to saudi together with libya and the venezuela boycot this could knock oil prices very high hitting world finances

Forum Editor 16:49 23 Feb 2011

when it comes to spreading information rapidly around the globe.

The trouble is, it's also a powerful force for spreading false information, and there seems to be no shortage of people prepared to take pretty well anything they read on the web at face value. Such people jump at the chance to take part on spreading rumour and innuendo, and make no attempt to verify information before passing it on.

As a result the internet is awash with absolute rubbish, especially when situations like those currently running in the Middle East occur.

morddwyd 20:23 23 Feb 2011

"the internet is awash with absolute rubbish,"

Don't knock it - keeps the forum going, and you busy!

jakimo 15:25 24 Feb 2011

and there seems to be no shortage of people prepared to take pretty well anything they read on the web at face value.

That is very true,even forums are not exempt.

Forum Editor 16:16 24 Feb 2011

I'm busy enough thanks, I don't need to have to spend time contemplating rubbish.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017