WW2 Films whats a good one

tomtu 16:31 17 Apr 2010

hello can anyone give me a idea of a good ww2 film please, i remember there was one where it was filmed in snow & it was about hitlers atmept to use "Heavy Water" but i cant remeber its name, i loved saving private ryan but i wanted the "Old" ones the 50/60's i belive they was best! any ideas pls

ulrich 16:37 17 Apr 2010

Ice Cold in Alex, with John Mills. A Bridge Too Far, about the Arnhem Landing. Above Us the Waves, another John Mills.

Forum Editor 16:41 17 Apr 2010

is called The heroes of Telemark - made in the 1960's.

The Dam busters takes some beating, as do 'The Bridge on the river Kwai', 'The dirty dozen', 'The thin red line', and 'Hell in the Pacific'.

Saving Private Ryan isn't bad either.

Everyone has their favourites, but they are some of mine.

wolfie3000 16:57 17 Apr 2010

One i liked was The Desert Fox,
Its about rommel, I think it was made in the fifties but one of the only war films i liked.

wolfie3000 16:59 17 Apr 2010

Oh just remembered, the film Memphis belle, thats a must have film.

Hercule Marple 17:13 17 Apr 2010

I would actually recommend the tv series 'Band of Brothers' before any WW2 films, 'cos it's great. Am really looking forward to seeing the 'The Pacific', too (first two episodes are on Freeview on Sky3 tonight at 9).

WW2 films not mentioned so far I would recommend:-

Where Eagles Dare
The Longest Day
The Guns of Navarone
633 Squadron
The Battle of Britain
The Great Escape
Von Ryan's Express
Cross of Iron
Patton
Stalingrad

Then there's also Schindler's List and The Pianist to consider.

anchor 17:15 17 Apr 2010

Three more, based on true events:

"The Sea Wolves", and "Ill met by Moonlight".

Not a war action film in the true sense, but I highly recommend "The Scarlet & the Black".

Brumas 17:42 17 Apr 2010

Enemy at the Gates, one of the more recent ones filmed in 2001, is pretty good. Two Russian and German snipers play a game of cat-and-mouse during the Battle of Stalingrad.

A good oldie is Carve her name with pride, the film is based on the true story of the heroism of Special Operations Executive agent Violette Szabo.

And finally who can resist The Cockleshell Heroes if only to try and spot our very own Bingalau, who was one of the extra divers. It is a fictionalised version of Operation Frankton, the true story of a commando raid on shipping in Bordeaux harbour.

Woolwell 18:10 17 Apr 2010

"The Cruel Sea" should be there somewhere.

Woolwell 18:10 17 Apr 2010

"The Cruel Sea" should be there somewhere.

Hercule Marple 18:21 17 Apr 2010

I liked Downfall, too. It's a recent Austrian film about Hitler's last days in his bunker. Some really good acting in that one.

You might find the Battle of the Bulge entertaining, too. It's ridiculous, but worth seeing for Robert Shaw's turn as a German panzer commander.

Kelly's Heroes if you want something really daft.......

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017