WTM. How did you do that?

Bingalau 18:43 23 Dec 2007

I mean how did you manage to get something into a locked thread?

alB 18:47 23 Dec 2007

Maybe the old FE is slowing down and he got it in before the silver mouse struck ;-)) ...alB

anskyber 18:51 23 Dec 2007

I wondered that as well. It was locked much earlier, then in comes the WTM post. Not only much later but after the lock and the post referring to the lock.

Xmas pressy from the FE perhaps?

Earthsea 18:57 23 Dec 2007

I think if the response box is available when viewing a thread you can still post to it, even if it has since been locked.

I can only guess it was on WTM's PC for some time. Only a guess though...

anskyber 19:09 23 Dec 2007

Here's a guess.

WTM had more than one page open, perhaps in two tabs. In the first was the unrefreshed page with the response box open but the other was refreshed so he could see the thread locked. He then posted on the unrefreshed page.

Rubbish answer, but it's the best I can come up with.

Earthsea 19:25 23 Dec 2007

anskyber, not a rubbish answer at all; WTM may have guessed the thread would be locked and kept a tab/window open deliberately to post to it.

Presumably, you could open multiple tabs/windows on a thread that was later locked and be able to post multiple responses to it. But why anyone would want to do this is beyond me.

Forum Editor 19:28 23 Dec 2007

I can just go back and delete any posts like that if I wish, but if it makes someone happy....

Bingalau 19:58 23 Dec 2007

I know it was locked more or less as I sent my last post to the thread. Then it was unavailable for a long time and then I noticed it had moved up the page and had an extra post in it..still with the red lock on it.... But if it is beyond our FE. Then WTM knows something/some method that we don't.

Forum Editor 23:13 23 Dec 2007

It's not beyond me how anyone could do it.

I was sharing Earthsea's comment - it's beyond me why anyone would want to do it.

WhiteTruckMan 23:31 23 Dec 2007

in the address bar, and what it could contain (with a little imagination). Exactly what, well, the largest number of people who can keep a secret is one.

As for why? well, why not? I don't make a habit of it even though I admit it isnt the first time. But it IS the first time anyones commented on it. Plus, I don't think I've broken any forum rules. But if anyone can point to the one they think I have broken then please say so and I will cease immediately.

WTM

Bingalau 23:35 23 Dec 2007

WTM.... I just didn't know it was possible. But there are lots of other things I don't now too. Lots of truth in the old adage "Live and Learn".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017