Would you trust your life to technology

carver 08:11 15 May 2010

A little clip here about the wonders of modern life, click here I don't think it was supposed to happen quite like that.

I suppose that sometimes just concentrating on what is ahead of you instead of relying on technology works better, I've heard several people go on about the marvelous things that could be done to improve transport but the last thing I want to hear is a little voice telling me that Windows has crashed and you are next.

morddwyd 08:15 15 May 2010

"Would you trust your life to technology "

I do, every time I press the brake pedal in my car.

Quickbeam 08:21 15 May 2010

It's not quite ready for the market that system.

Forum Editor 08:40 15 May 2010

many times each day, but that doesn't mean we should behave like total idiots.

Anyone who routinely relies on a car's automatic impact prevention system, rather than simply braking manually is indeed a total idiot, and shouldn't be behind the wheel of a moving vehicle in the first place

egapup 09:29 15 May 2010

"Anyone who routinely relies on a car's automatic impact prevention system, rather than simply braking manually is indeed a total idiot"
I dont think it's meant for that, it's meant to stop them rear end shunts we've all nearly had or had for real.

Colin 09:41 15 May 2010

How long will it be until we see the first litigation with a driver saying the crash wasn’t my fault as the car should have stopped? Or suing a Sat Nav manufacturer for being late for a meeting or missing a plane? I’m surprised at how easily people can give up their common sense to technology. I know at least two people who won’t drive a car without Sat Nav as, in their words “ how will I know where to go?” What did these people do before?

johndrew 10:01 15 May 2010

Isn't technology wonderful!!!

I still prefer to trust a Mk1 eyeball and common sense when approaching stationary traffic.

And yes I have suffered both total foot brake failure (long before dual circuit brakes) and a failed hand brake cable simultaneously when approaching a 'T' junction downhill. Gearbox and engine make a hell of a noise when used as a brake in these conditions!!!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:16 15 May 2010

“To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer"

carver 10:18 15 May 2010

A braking system is only a set of hydraulic pumps, not exactly space age technology.

The problem with this sort of technology is that as Colin has said, people come to rely on it and when it goes wrong they blame the system.

Forum Editor
"Anyone who routinely relies on a car's automatic impact prevention system, rather than simply braking manually is indeed a total idiot, and shouldn't be behind the wheel of a moving vehicle in the first place."

Would this apply to people who rely on their Sat Navs to direct them into a river or mountain side

click here
click here

morddwyd 20:30 15 May 2010

"not exactly space age technology"

The question posed was not about space age technology, but just technology, which started with the wheel.

I must admit though that I have come to rely on it, and if, as I come up to a red light, my foot goes to the floor I do tend to blame the system as I disappear under WTM's juggernaut as he crosses`(sorry, "proceeds with caution") on the green.

How unreasonable of me.

rdave13 22:19 15 May 2010

Tut tut.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017