Would you like to take part in a beta test?

Forum Editor 12:16 19 Sep 2009

We have been negotiating with a major software company to run a comprehensive beta test of a new product, and I'm delighted to tell you that we are now in a position to invite you to apply for a place on the test panel.

The company (Trend Micro) will be launching a new computer security service that is primarily aimed at small business users. It will be a hosted service, which means that access will be via a Trend Micro server, and to qualify for membership of the test panel you'll have to meet and agree to certain requirements:-

1. Sign up and register for the beta when it becomes available on October 12th

2. Create a temporary account to obtain the 180 day trial license (no payment of any kind involved).

3. Download and install the client software to your computer (desktop or laptop)

4. Obtain a Test Script from the site and follow all test tasks in the script (approximately 40-65 specific tasks)

5. Mark Pass/Fail or 'Not tested' for each task as appropriate (at least 85% of tasks must be completed to be valid)

6. Return test results and valid test script to Trend on or before November 12th, 2009

You can see that this is a professionally structured, serious beta programme, and you should not apply unless you feel able to commit to completing the tests.

In exchange for your work, and for the feedback you'll provide, Trend will give you either a year's subscription to the Business service, or a free year's subscription to Trend Internet Security for home users - whichever you prefer.

We'll be running a special forum area where you can discuss any problems or experiences with other PCA testers. This area will only be open to members of the test panel.

Applications to me by email please (NOT posted in this thread), together with details of which operating system you use, and whether you would use a laptop or desktop machine. Members of the panel will be selected on a strictly first come, first served basis.

If you're not selected on this occasion don't lose heart - we are setting up a beta programme with another company (for a completely different product), and will be starting that test before the end of the year, so watch out for further announcements - please don't apply via this thread. .

Forum Editor 17:38 19 Sep 2009

There's still room for anyone else who fancies joining in.

sunnystaines 17:40 19 Sep 2009

Still using the 360 from the last beta test and well impressed too.

But thank you for the offer I will give this one a miss, but keen to look at any more beta offers.

Forum Editor 17:50 19 Sep 2009

I'm pleased that Norton 360 has been a success as far as you're concerned.

The Trend test differs in that it is a hosted service - the software runs on both the remote secure server and on your computer via a web management console. It will provide protection against identity theft, risky websites, and spam, and will also block web-based threats and malware.

It sounds pretty good, and I'm looking forward to giving it a spin.

Newuser38 19:22 19 Sep 2009

I have recently,twice, turned down the identical beta offer from Trend. I am already on their beta testing list so I will wait for the next PCA beta program. Thanks

Picklefactory 21:43 19 Sep 2009

If this is a beta, then must be a new version, but I hope they have improved their web filters. They drive us mad, as I work in engineering and soooooo many sites we want to access get filtered out as 'Weapons'. General security is good, but web filter is a bit OTT.
I'll be curious to see the results from their beta version.

rdave13 22:10 19 Sep 2009

I would have tried this one but I've got W7 delivered by end of October. That will be installed on my XP machine. I'm thinking of reformatting and re-installing Vista SP1 on laptop but not through the restore discs.

Be interesting on the outcome of the beta test.

HondaMan 12:31 20 Sep 2009

If there are still any places, I wouldn't mind a go at this.

Forum Editor 12:51 20 Sep 2009

Please email me.

tein 19:56 20 Sep 2009

FE would it work on Windows7 64 bit.?

Forum Editor 23:12 21 Sep 2009

That's the kind of thing the software company wants to know about. I'm sure it will.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?