Would you let your daughter do this?

Cymro. 10:44 28 Aug 2009

I know we should learn to "let go" as our children grow up but I would not be keen to see any child of mine go off on a trip like this. If she was a little older say 18 or so then by all means assuming she had the training, experience, right help and good equipment but even then not at 13 years old.

click here

jakimo 12:15 28 Aug 2009

Personally,NO,

but many parents seem to think anything goes,as far as there children are concerned

Snec 12:40 28 Aug 2009

No I would not, although I suppose the sea could be seen as a safer place than many streets these days.

SimpleSimon1 14:01 28 Aug 2009

From the BBC article:

>Miss Dekker was reportedly born on a yacht off the
>coast of New Zealand during a seven-year world
>trip.
>She had a yacht by the age of six and began
>sailing solo when she was 10.

Just heard a rep from the Dutch government talking on the radio and she seemed to suggest that the girl's sailing skills weren't in question. What they do seem to be worried about is whether she can handle the psychological impact of all those months on her own.

Cymro. 17:43 28 Aug 2009

My first post was titled
"Would you let your daughter do this?"

Are we to assume that you would be happy for your daughter to do so then?

Quickbeam 18:23 28 Aug 2009

I would think not, but the fact that she's up for it says she's certainly no run of the mill daughter. So it's not such a simple decision.

Mike Perham click here seems to have kept his mind during his circumnavigation. And I'll bet Shackleton and Scott would have been up for it at that age given the chance.

Now I must walk the dog... I may be some time:)

Bingalau 19:07 28 Aug 2009

Quickbeam thinks he is Titus Oates. Someone tell him it's only raining.

lofty29 19:11 28 Aug 2009

Bingalau
Are you saying we may not see quickbeam ever again.

Mr Mistoffelees 19:41 28 Aug 2009

We knew him well.

laurie53 20:03 28 Aug 2009

"whether she can handle the psychological impact of all those months on her own."

Remember Donald Crowhurst, who was a very experienced sailor, but still succumbed to the psychological pressures.

Of course, if she's never more than a quarter of a mile from the support team it should not be problem.

WhiteTruckMan 20:06 28 Aug 2009

that children under 16 should not be left alone overnight

click here

Sending one around the world in a yacht is rank stupidity.

If someone was born on a bus, would that make them an expert bus driver? ditto for an aircraft?

One thing is for certain: its a damn big ocean out there. And its no place for children to set off into it, just because she is 'up for it'. Mid atlantic is no place to find out that she doesnt have the endurance and stamina to cope.

WTM

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?