Would you fight for your country?

zekea 19:56 11 Aug 2006

Would you fight for your country and be prepaired to die in a paddy field, sanger or dirt scrape. Alongside you buddies?

realist 20:18 11 Aug 2006

When I was resident in Australia in 1964 I became eligible for conscription for Vietnam. I decided to move elsewhere and I had to fill out a yellow(!) form to leave the country and was told I would have to register for call-up should I ever return!

SG Atlantis® 20:22 11 Aug 2006

no

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:34 11 Aug 2006

Judging by the Armed Forces' singular lack of understanding about the depths which thousands of years of belief, and thousands of years of culture can influence a race which is unlikely to be wiped out by the 'hearts and minds' approach....not a chance.

G

ade.h 20:55 11 Aug 2006

If we had a good reason to do so, such as people did in Sep 1939, yes I would, with little hesitation.

ulrich 21:13 11 Aug 2006

I am very happy to say I was in the army for 9yrs, from 70 to 79. I would now for my mates, but not this government.

freaky 21:18 11 Aug 2006

Must admit I would if there was going to be an attack on my country, and I was asked to help defend it.

However, if I was asked to go abroad to defend another country then I would not - unless I was a mercenary.

Both of the above suppositions assume I was not a member of the Armed Forces.

If I was a member of the Armed Forces, then I would not have the choice - would have to go wherever they sent me.

But to be honest I am proud of my country despite the present government, and would do whatever necessary to defend it.

ade.h 21:37 11 Aug 2006

While I can appreciate your sentiment, the armed forces ultimately fight for Queen and country. The government just hands out the orders.

iambeavis 22:22 11 Aug 2006

No.

Altruist 22:37 11 Aug 2006

if my country was being invaded and there was no alternative.

VoG II 22:39 11 Aug 2006

A very interesting question, if you think about it.

If you are talking about any ongoing conflict my answer would be a resounding 'no'. I do not think that Afghanistan, Iraq etc. are worth fighting for. I would leave them to get on with it.

If it was 60-70 years ago and our country was under threat from invasion then yes. Except that I would prefer not to die as I am a coward. On balance I think that I would have signed up in WW2 (I would be in a protected profession so could not be drafted - I think).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017