Would you do these people's job for the money?

Cymro. 13:05 11 Apr 2017

**From the BBC website Social care system 'beginning to collapse' as 900 carers quit every day **

I suppose the BBC headline above tells it all. I am not sure what they get paid these days. I suppose the over 25s get something over £7.50 an hour. Considering the responsibility and the nature of the work I have always wondered how they ever managed to retain any staff. Any job may be better than no job but I wonder with work like this at these sort of pay rates. Others may get paid no more but not many and even fewer have to do such work.

wee eddie 14:03 11 Apr 2017

Carers are paid peanuts and, frequently, are not paid while they are travelling between assignments. The whole sector needs cleaning up as the Councils are little better than the Private Providers

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:44 11 Apr 2017

In answer to your question, definitely NO!

bumpkin 18:03 11 Apr 2017

Carers are paid peanuts and, frequently, are not paid while they are travelling between assignments.

That itself is bad enough but when something goes wrong they are first in line as the scapegoat. No surprise they are leaving.

Quickbeam 18:50 11 Apr 2017

No.

They were talking about it on the radio this morning and it turns out that the travelling carers can work over a 14 hours spread and only be paid for 6 hours at the minimum wage.

So no, I wouldn't do that but we do need to pay a fair rate for it.

Burn-it 18:17 13 Apr 2017

They don't get paid travelling time and only recentl started getting mileage allowance, so no.

bumpkin 19:04 13 Apr 2017

* Social care system 'beginning to collapse' *

As will any system if those that are any good are no longer prepared to do it for whatever their reasons. You either end up with no system at all or a very poor one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires