Would you like chips with that - the issue was

The Brigadier 19:28 13 Nov 2006

to show how heat is generated and how hot a pc motherboard, cpu and other devices get. It was not aimed at being silly or as a joke. But this is how some persons go about getting more speed ie clocking and trying to cool their system down.

I do hope the same tone will be taken with those who use water to cool their systems, as surely water & electricity do not mix.

Mr Mistoffelees 19:33 13 Nov 2006

What the FE meant is that there have been numerous threads, in recent months, about running a PC in cooking oil.

Forum Editor 19:35 13 Nov 2006

by email.

The Brigadier 19:40 13 Nov 2006

Duly told off, sorry FE

Kate B 21:01 13 Nov 2006

And to make that ill-informed remark about water-cooling is to show that you can't be bothered to learn anything about it. A very quick Google would have turned up plenty of information on wate-cooling, not the least of which is that the system is completely self-contained.

namtas 23:25 13 Nov 2006

"as surely water & electricity do not mix"
To keep the record straight and very sorry to correct, but in actual fact water and electricity do mix, water is used as a direct contact coolant of electrodes of very high power. Absolute pure water is an excelent coolant, the chosen cooling medium has to have excellent dielectric properties. A choice such as pure or deionized (DI) water. However, using DI water creates some challenges such as keeping it pure.

rodriguez 00:10 14 Nov 2006

My computer isn't really powerful enough to require water cooling, but if it was then I think I'd use it. It must be safe as it wouldn't be used if it was dangerous. I saw a water cooled computer once and I think the bit with the water was underneath the machine away from the main electrics. Also computer components only run on about 12v, the high voltage that comes out of the wall is contained within the PSU. Also a water cooled system looks quite impressive and is quite cool to look at. :-D

josie mayhem 00:22 14 Nov 2006

Kettles!!!!

Do we ponder the saftey of the good old electric kettle.... powered by electric and a nice metal rod that sits in water!

A properly installed water cooler (and maintained) water cooler is a safe as a kettle!

But most of us have very little need for water cooling our rigs, we don't over clock or live in extreme tempetures where it would be advantage to run such a cooling system on our computers.

Have a google, it's quiet interesting just to read and expensive to buy....

Forum Editor 00:31 14 Nov 2006

no water ever comes into contact with any electrical components - it's simply used as a heat-transfer medium, in the same way as the water circulating around a car's engine.

Most of us have no need of such powerful cooling methods anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?