Would you buy a cardboard bicycle?

WhiteTruckMan 11:11 28 Jun 2008

Article: click here

Short video: click here

Speaking personally, quite possibly. I don't know if it would ever take off in a big way, but 100% hats off to this young chap for coming up with it, even if I dont know if its an original idea or not. If he can make it work then good for him!

What do you think?

WTM

Cymro. 11:20 28 Jun 2008

It puts me in mind of all those wonderful gadgets that one used to see on the TV program Tomorrows World. Really very, very clever but never seen or heard of since.
Sorry for being negative.

namtas 11:38 28 Jun 2008

I would not wish to stifle enthusiasm or enterprise but this can only have a very limited life as a 21st century hobby horse, technically lacking strength where required and totally unsuitable for any form of chain drive or pedals, a concept that is not practical in my opinion

Quickbeam 11:45 28 Jun 2008

Cymro. 12:13 28 Jun 2008

In the article above he seems to think that rain will be no problem, and in the video there appears to be both a chain and pedals on it.

WhiteTruckMan 12:23 28 Jun 2008

because its been built to the strengths of the material instead of trying to imitate tubular steel. I think it merely looks heavy, but isnt. And the guy is honest about proposed durability. But for occasional use....

People were doubtfull about james dyson too.

WTM

robgf 12:50 28 Jun 2008

The intention is to make it less attractive to thieves, but I doubt that it would be any less likely to be stolen than a steel frame bike.
You would still need to chain the wheels to the frame and frame to a fence, otherwise only part of your bike would remain when you returned.
It would be very vulnerable to being cut, or set fire to by pranksters (morons).

I keep an old bike for going to the shops, which is just a basic bike, with nothing detachable on it. And the wheel and saddle clamp nuts I machined into cones with slots, which only undo with my tool. Saves removing the saddle and chaining the wheels.

spuds 14:17 28 Jun 2008

I wonder how it would fair with cats and other animals (scratching, clawing, chewing and biting type) and a thieving arsonist?.

Didn't notice any brakes, so perhaps a fixed pedal job. Anyone for a steep downhill race ;o)

Forum Editor 14:39 28 Jun 2008

I machined into cones with slots, which only undo with my tool."

My imagination is running riot.

WhiteTruckMan 15:21 28 Jun 2008

Mine just ran out of the room. And with that, I think an early tick to this.

WTM

ray7 16:08 28 Jun 2008

'What happens when it rains'

Wear a Raincoat !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?