Would this slow you down?

Sapins 18:53 29 Jul 2010

I don't know about the UK but here in France they have been installing devices, at the entrance to towns where the speed limit begins, that flash your speed and either a frown symbol if you are exceeding the limit or a smiley if you are on or below the limit. My wife and I now always look to get a smiley so it works for us, how about you?

ronalddonald 18:56 29 Jul 2010

yes we do have them in black boxes positioned on busy roads in London, yet people still exceed the speed not everyone slows down to them, there hose who do slow down and there's the ones who don't slow down

Forum Editor 18:59 29 Jul 2010

apparently works pretty well. We all have a natural inclination to feel irritated and/or a little down when we see someone frowning at us, and we will try to get smiles if we can - even if they just come from an automated speed reader.

At the moment I'm driving into Richmond in Surrey fairly frequently, and they have sensors on one of the approach roads that flash your speed at you - the numbers are green if you're observing the speed limit, and red if you're not. It's a simple enough system, but it seems to be remarkably effective.

john 52 19:33 29 Jul 2010

To be honest most people who go over the speed limit it is just a case of lack of concentration of what the speed limit is and this is more effective way to make motorists reduce there speed in my opinion

morddwyd 19:40 29 Jul 2010

"most people who go over the speed limit it is just a case of lack of concentration "

Like leaving a supermarket and forgetting to pay.

If your powers of concentration are that bad should you be on the road at all?

karmgord 20:09 29 Jul 2010

Got one at Stanstead Airport

ella33 20:34 29 Jul 2010

I can remember seeing them on the motorway in Kent but that was mainly when they were dong roadworks and had a lower speed limit that normal for the motorway. They showed your number and there was a notice to slow down. Haven't been there lately, or not on the motorway anyway, to see if there is anything like that.

Here, there are some on quiet roads as you enter villages, but they might not be quite the same.

jack 20:41 29 Jul 2010

We have a solar operated speed indicator that flashes over the limit speed or steady for on or under and a thank you sign.-
The trick is it is portable[as opposed to mobile] one day it on a road near a college - then it disappears then in a road elsewhere,
In the pavement is situated a socket into which it is 'planted'-
But I have yet to see two men on bikes with it on their shoulder transferring it from one site to the other

;-}

Dragon_Heart 22:17 29 Jul 2010

“ But I have yet to see two men on bikes with it on their shoulder transferring it from one site to the other “

Perhaps it’s the little green men our FE is so sceptical about ( on another post )

We have one of these type of signs which is both wind and solar powered ( it’s near the river ), many use an un-metered mains supply like a bus stop orstreet lamp.

The first one I saw was on the A45 in Birmingham in Yardly click here

I was told local’s at night used to see how fast they could register on the board

Noldi 06:20 30 Jul 2010

"If your powers of concentration are that bad should you be on the road at all?"

I think that would clear the roads totally everybody has a lack of concertration while driving at one time or another.

Noldi

wee eddie 11:07 30 Jul 2010

and some towns.

Many say "Thank You" or "Slow Down", below your speed. They appear to be much more effective than most the other methods

I think that Smileys would be just as effective, maybe better, the advantages are that they need take no account of the viewer's language in a multilingual area.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?